New(ish) Beatles Song - Now and Then

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/nov/02/now-and-then-listen-to-the-final-beatles-song-john-lennon-paul-mccartney-ringo-george-harrison

I have to say, I had my doubts about this, and the use of AI is a bit creepy and has some potentially big and not good implications for music in the future... but I actually really like that. They've done an excellent job with it IMO.

Starts off sounding a wee bit ropey maybe, but once it gets going at the first chorus, I think it's a pretty solid piece of music. Genuinely surprised tbh!

• 2 weeks later...

The original cassette recording had John Lennon vocal and a piano. The piano was too loud, so they couldn't use it. With the new tech, they've completely removed piano and are left with the voice. Luckily there was no effects on the vocal, like reverb or delay, so it was perfect for adding after being split. I think the song is decent. They had to add a slide geetar on top of George Harrison original, as obviously he no longer here. I've heard another band using this technology recently, so it definitely going to catch on. Btw you can separate any instrument with it, but not the effects which were originally on it. Lots of bands in the studio used tape before digital transfer, so end of reel tapes stretch, so have to adjust the tempo. I wonder if F Mercury has any auld cassettes kicking about?

Edited by scottyboy
So if you a young and upcoming band, you can have James Brown singing for you, but you will be ****ed for copyright.

Queen have already milked that cow with the vocals Freddie did knowing he was coming to the end of his life. Which was great, but they then reworked some of his other vocals from non Queen songs to complete the made in heaven album.

Its not a Beatles song in any way for me, I haven't read anything about it but as far as I know it was Lennon demo, like free as a bird and real love (Which shouldn't have been labelled Beatles either). Possibly from the same John Lennon demo in 79?

I know they had spoke about all getting together again before Lennon had died. Were these songs he worked on before his death for this purpose?

Its tasteless for me if not, if it had been worked on as Lennon project they want to finish great but Beatles songs, its a nope for me.

The song itself isn't too bad, this is a good use for the technology. It had been AI recreating the voice itself that could could go right in the bin.