Dèjà Vu?

GG Riva

A casual glance at the Scottish Premiership table is eerily reminiscent of the table of the 2002/3 season, going into the final round of games. Then, as now, both Celtic and Rangers were tied on points and had almost identical GDs. Still a long way to go this season, but if it happened before, it could happen again.

Apologies for reminding Pars fans of this but our team visited Ibrox and Celtic were at Rugby Park. A 4-0 victory for Celtic was not enough to secure the title because the Pars lost 6-1 at Ibrox, so Rangers were Champions by a single goal. There followed lots of conspiracy theories and allegations that Jimmy Calderwood had set the Pars up to lose heavily because he was "a Rangers man."

I was sure the SPL bosses would have wanted to ensure such an unnecessary state of affairs could ever happen again, by adding extra layers to separate teams level on points and GD, such as H2H records, but no more than 20 years on, nothing has changed. In 2003, there had been talk of a playoff between the Ugly Sisters if they had finished level on points, GD and goals scored and conceded.

Strangely, the Glasgow Polis were none to chuffed at the prospect.

10 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

A casual glance at the Scottish Premiership table is eerily reminiscent of the table of the 2002/3 season, going into the final round of games. Then, as now, both Celtic and Rangers were tied on points and had almost identical GDs. Still a long way to go this season, but if it happened before, it could happen again.

Apologies for reminding Pars fans of this but our team visited Ibrox and Celtic were at Rugby Park. A 4-0 victory for Celtic was not enough to secure the title because the Pars lost 6-1 at Ibrox, so Rangers were Champions by a single goal. There followed lots of conspiracy theories and allegations that Jimmy Calderwood had set the Pars up to lose heavily because he was "a Rangers man."

I was sure the SPL bosses would have wanted to ensure such an unnecessary state of affairs could ever happen again, by adding extra layers to separate teams level on points and GD, such as H2H records, but no more than 20 years on, nothing has changed. In 2003, there had been talk of a playoff between the Ugly Sisters if they had finished level on points, GD and goals scored and conceded.

Strangely, the Glasgow Polis were none to chuffed at the prospect.

Points, goal difference, goals scored, H2H points, H2H goal difference, neutral ground play-off is the order of separating clubs.

13 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Was this brought in by the SPFL, parsforlife? If so, I must have missed it.

I don't remember it grabbing any headlines.

Yes,  it’s not exactly headline grabbing tbh, given I can’t remember goals scored  needing used, possibly only for minor placings nevermind needing to move further down the list.

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Points, goal difference, goals scored, H2H points, H2H goal difference, neutral ground play-off is the order of separating clubs.

Just looked at this again - nothing has changed since 2003. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Celtic and Rangers could go into the last game of the season level on points, with similar if not identical GDs and it's all down to who can bag the bigger win on the day. 

In Italy, they're so scared of corruption that GD is much further down the pecking order. H2H may count in certain circumstances, otherwise teams finishing level on points have a playoff to determine final placings.

7 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Just looked at this again - nothing has changed since 2003. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Celtic and Rangers could go into the last game of the season level on points, with similar if not identical GDs and it's all down to who can bag the bigger win on the day. 

In Italy, they're so scared of corruption that GD is much further down the pecking order. H2H may count in certain circumstances, otherwise teams finishing level on points have a playoff to determine final placings.

GD at least is a show of your ability across the full league rather than against one or two opponents.  The team with the best GD has done that all season, not just the last game regardless of what spin is tried to be put on it.

I don’t think Italian football has a particularly good reputation on anti-corruption, but maybe that money was just resting in referee accounts 

Here we wouldn’t have playoffs for non-vital places(no promotion/relegation or European spot) the clubs are given equal placing and prize money 

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

GD at least is a show of your ability across the full league rather than against one or two opponents.  The team with the best GD has done that all season, not just the last game regardless of what spin is tried to be put on it.

I don’t think Italian football has a particularly good reputation on anti-corruption, but maybe that money was just resting in referee accounts 

Here we wouldn’t have playoffs for non-vital places(no promotion/relegation or European spot) the clubs are given equal placing and prize money 

Not sure I follow your logic. If two teams reach the last round of games level on points and GD, surely both have performed more or less equally and it is all on the last game. The accusations levelled at our club in 2003 were horrible. Why could the SPFL not decree that H2H takes precedence over GD, to ensure such a scenario is not repeated? 

At least if it does happen this season, the Pars won't be involved. Still, I wouldn't like to see any other team accused of "lying down."

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Not sure I follow your logic. If two teams reach the last round of games level on points and GD, surely both have performed more or less equally and it is all on the last game. The accusations levelled at our club in 2003 were horrible. Why could the SPFL not decree that H2H takes precedence over GD, to ensure such a scenario is not repeated? 

At least if it does happen this season, the Pars won't be involved. Still, I wouldn't like to see any other team accused of "lying down."

They’re old firm fans, they’ll find conspiracy wherever they want doesn’t matter the system, we’ve been accused of being ‘one of them’ from either side continuously and always will be. 

GD Is accumulated over the course of the season same as points, one team outscoring the other on final day is the same as one team winning and the other not, not that stops conspiracy as anyone who speaks to a more deranged hearts fan about 1986 knows. 

You can’t have H2H only counting if GD is close, the order needs decided first.

Would you consider it unfair if H2H decides the title by one goal when there’s 20 goal difference between the clubs? Or is it not the sporting debate over what one is better you want to speak and just what one you think is more corruptible?

Edited by parsforlife

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

They’re old firm fans, they’ll find conspiracy wherever they want doesn’t matter the system, we’ve been accused of being ‘one of them’ from either side continuously and always will be. 

GD Is accumulated over the course of the season same as points, one team outscoring the other on final day is the same as one team winning and the other not, not that stops conspiracy as anyone who speaks to a more deranged hearts fan about 1986 knows. 

You can’t have H2H only counting if GD is close, the order needs decided first.

Would you consider it unfair if H2H decides the title by one goal when there’s 20 goal difference between the clubs? Or is it not the sporting debate over what one is better you want to speak and just what one you think is more corruptible?

I'm not saying H2H is more important than GD or that the order should be switched in mid-season. My point is that if H2H was the first determining criterion, after points accumulated, it wouldn't matter if one of the OF won their final game 1-0 or 10-0, so the conspiracy theories would go straight into the bin.

You may even have heard about the season when the Pars needed a big win v Partick to avoid relegation. They won 10-1. I was too young for that one but some older Pars fans who were there were among the conspiracy theorists. 😀