Hanging too good.............

GG Riva

If there was ever a referendum on capital punishment, I'm 100% certain I'd vote against it, for a variety of good reasons. I also used to think that drug dealers were the lowest form of human life, but now I'd give that dubious label to those who abuse, harm or murder, innocent, defenceless babies and young children.

Many folk will be appalled to learn the full details surrounding the death of a 5 month old baby girl in Buckhaven, on Sunday. No doubt some will say hanging would be too good for her evil murderer. I agree. I hope he gets locked up for the rest of his life and that he's not segregated from other inmates.

''Perhaps a better idea would be an island where the worst of scum and villainy could fend for themselves and beat each other senseless if necessary?''

That was trialed using Australia, some 200 years ago, Vinnie, except that most of those shipped out there were petty criminals - those convicted of more serious crimes, like sheep stealing, were hanged without too much ceremony. 

''Regardless of this case, which unfortunately for me I know more than I wish I did, how on earth could you ever think drug dealers were the lowest form of human life? That utterly baffles me. ''

I'm in the same boat regarding the case, Keyser. As for the drug dealers, they make their money by peddling pain and suffering to the weak and gullible, not to mention those people's families. Without wishing to appear holier than thou, I couldn't look in the mirror if that's what I did for a living. Why can't they get themselves a legal, honest job?

''

Believe me I'm not painting drug dealers as some bastion of morality but surely referring to them as the lowest form of human life is absurd? 

There as literally hundreds of crimes that rank well above drug dealing in the scumbag stakes. ''

I'm sure you're probably right. I had a pretty jaundiced view of them perhaps because a student mate of mine died as a result of drug misuse, aged just 22. His parents never recovered and suffered from recurring bouts of depression for the rest of their lives. 

I try to live life as a left wing type of understanding and accepting type of guy but anyone who murder bairns push me beyond my levels of comprehension.

I think I could be persuaded to support Capital Punishment where's years ago I'd have argued against it.

Fair point but as well meaning as societies rules are sometimes instinct is stronger, including vengence.

I'm also of the opinion that some people offer nothing to society and they're in a sense dead already as a human being. What difference would it make if they were here or not?

I just can't fathom a situation were the appropriate response to murder is murder. It makes absolutely no sense. How can we logically say murder is wrong and to prove this we're going to murder you? 

I think there are various levels of evil.  The very  worst maybe do deserve the ultimate punishment.

Of course, living on Death Row isnt just a couple of weeks, its years and years and often involves many appeals. 

I watched "Life And Death Row" on BBC Three the other night.

Strange viewing experience.  I ended up feeling quite saddened about the guy getting executed.

Just a young guy, had 6 kids, always maintained he didn't kill the cop intentionally, but didn't want to appeal to speed up the process and to let everyone else move on with their lives.

Archived