Hanging too good.............

GG Riva

I would like to offer a different perspective on this if I may.   I’ve had a couple of key moments in my life which really made me consider the issue of capital punishment.   It’s a bit of a sad story so I will try to be brief in the outline.   

My partner was badly injured and my child lost their life due to the actions of another.   This matter was dealt with through the Court.  I really didn’t think the punishment was enough given my child had lost their life and I will admit that through the grief and the pain a small part of me would have happily seen this person swing! 

A few years later I heard that they had died and I realised capital punishment would never have helped or provided the answer to that small part of me that wanted to take a life.      I realised that it wouldn’t be any form of retribution their death set them free and only them.   They no longer have to live with what happened on that day whilst I, my partner and our families will live with the consequences for the rest of our lives.   

Sorry if this is a bit heavy but I thought my perspective may be worthwhile to the debate.

Archived