English team and why?

Fu_Manchu

None of this glory hunting nonsense for me.

When I worked in the Peak District, Stockport County were my team. First game I went to was their record lowest league crowd, played on a Friday evening. Back then they always played home league games on a Friday evening, the theory being that fans of the two Manchester teams (in the days when 99% of games started at 3pm on a Saturday) might pop along to Edgeley Park on a Friday. Just over 1,300 turned up that night. They won 1-0.

Moving back home after two plus years down South, my newly adopted team was Leyton Orient, and this was before my big bruv settled in Leytonstone in his time in London. Visited most of the grounds in London on my visits down there, but felt most at home at Brisbane Road. Sh*t football, sh*t crowds and mostly miserable moaning home fans. It felt like being at East End Park.

Still follow their (mis)fortunes from afar...

Wigan Athletic for me. Absolutely no ties to the club whatsoever, once saw them on TV when they were in the 1st division (think they were playing Leeds) and they ended up winning 2-0. Next day I was in JJB and used my pocket money to buy their home kit, I ended up following them for years and for my 14th birthday I got the absolute treat of seeing them play Derby County in a 2-0 win.

Was absolutely mortified I couldn't go to the FA cup final because I had exams that week, but hopefully I'll get a chance to go down and see them lift the League 1 trophy this year.

Bury

Grandad played for them in the early 1950's,signed from (gulp) Raith Rovers...his name was Walter Kelly,and he scored Bury's 3000th league goal...centre forward

His brother was Willie Kelly,who played for a team cried Dunfermline Athletic...after being sold to Airdrie for £4000 he moved to Blackburn Rovers where he earned the nickname of "Iron Man"...centre half

Both of these guys came through Hill O'Beath Hawthorn...

I'm in touch with a gentleman from Bury,who is in his 80's and works as a bookseller in Inverness...according to his accounts,my granddad was the first Bury forward that he remembers seeing...apparently,when they came up against each other (which was quite often),they simply booted the crap out of each other,with little real football being played...I pointed out to my elderly acquaintance that this particular trait wasn't exclusively reserved for the football field lol...

Images are available through Google Images

Nottingham Forest - My dad is from the city and has been a lifelong Forest supporter, i've always followed suit from a very young age. My gran was always buying me Forest bits and pieces and sent up each edition of the Football Post which covered football in the area. I wasn't alive when they won the European Cup but i've always been proud of the achievement, which I consider one of the greatest sporting triumphs of all time. They were promoted to the top Division in 1977, and in their first season back they won the title. Not only that, but the season after they went on to win the European cup. Then again. In successive years. If you made this up nobody would believe it. They had a tremendous cast of characters too, much like our 96 team. 

Seeing them play at Est End Park is something I never thought i'd see, but a few years ago it happened. One of my favourite games, even if it was a friendly. 

Liverpool from a younger age than I was a Pars fan actually.

I grew up in a non football family as a kid but my folks and Auntie and uncle always watched the annual England v Scotland match so I grew up with an identity and very much pro Scotland from a young age.

Livepool had such a strong Scottish connection with Dalglish, Souness, Hanson and others , it was a no brainer for me. 

They were great without the arrogance and this was why I am a fan 

Grew up with AWP in Broomhead flats and knew his grandad Walter. He was the first person I've ever heard utter the phrase 'I've shat better football players than <insert players name here>'. Personally I was a massive Liverpool fan and all because of King Kenny. I spent my formative years in either a pars, Liverpool or Scotland top and matching tracksuit. 

Archived