SNP - Council Tax

So much for their promise to abandon this tax for something more "progressive" - they simply up the bills for 5 of the Tax bands whilst simultaneously abandoning the Council Tax freeze - shame on them - this will lead to huge Council Tax rises for many - and I think Fife could be one of the worst............

I never agreed with the council tax freeze tbh, cs tax is nice, but look at the service cuts as a result. It also seemed like it was designed to bring the councils more and more under central Holyrood control.

I agree with this but given the absolute waste we have seen from councils up and down the country, it might be a good thing to hold them accountable. 

I've read there is something like £2 billion in council coffers up and down the country that could be used for the very things they complain about 

I would love to know where this imaginary money is. Edinburgh Council will be waving off 500 members of staff in a couple of weeks. 1500 to go. Fife Council is talking about punting 2000 staff too. The public lap this up thinking councils are filled with jobsworths but just see how you feel when there's more potholes, more untreated roads, less libraries and less support for the most vulnerable. The SNP council tax freeze has been a disaster and has seen a lot of public services privatised.

My own view is that people should be taxed based on their income. Would guarantee near 100% council tax collection. However, how does that work if I have a holiday home in Fife and live in Edinburgh?

I think council tax should be replaced, or at the very least, the way it is collected should be reviewed.  Too many folk don't pay the council tax and this is why there is a shortfall, not because of lack of the rates being frozen.

You could have a household with 4 adults, paying the same as a household with 2 adults and 3 kids.  The household with 4 adults could each contribute, while the household with 3 kids will be struggling to contribute, and can avoid not paying easily enough by simply not doing so.

Perhaps an additional income tax, collected at source?  Easier to collect, ensures payment, and everybody contributes for the services we all benefit from.

Archived