Our Justice System

The reason for asking, was IMO the correct sentence given out today to Adam Johnson , now if his name was for exampleTam Broon from Bowershall unemployed and wan ugly git , would he be given six years for a similar crime ?

I would probably say it would be 3 years tops

Initially I was defensive of Johnson.  He gave a version of events which has subsequently been disproved, in order to make himself look like some kind of victim too.  (Picking up a lass in a bar, kid shouldn't have been there, every right to expect bar staff to keep out kids, etc etc.)

Everything he has done has been calculated, possibly thinking that his profile would protect him to some degree.  I think the judge was lenient.  

With the lengths he went to in the pursuit of someone he knew was a minor, and knew was illegal, given he even searched if it was or not in google, personally, I don;t think it was enough, I;d have given him the full 10 years he could have been given. If he was Joe Bloggs, he coudn't have been given 3 years as the guide for sentencing in this crime was 5-10, so you could argue he got off lightly.

To put this in perspective, Radavan Karadzic was also today sentenced, for the crime of Genocide, and he 'only' got 40 years for what is arguably a far worse crime. I know people who saw the results of his work, and let's just say he got a smack on the wrist compared to what he should have got IMO.

To put this in perspective, Radavan Karadzic was also today sentenced, for the crime of Genocide, and he 'only' got 40 years for what is arguably a far worse crime. I know people who saw the results of his work, and let's just say he got a smack on the wrist compared to what he should have got IMO.

40 years is more than enough, hes at an age where he'll never see the outside of prison walls again anyway, pointless to sentence him to 120 years when he'll only live maybe another 20 years?  

I get that, but its kind of beside the point. If he was 95, would he have been given 5 years? Sentence should reflect the severity of the crime, and in fact you often hear in America of people being sentenced to hundreds of years in prison.

I get that, but its kind of beside the point. If he was 95, would he have been given 5 years? Sentence should reflect the severity of the crime, and in fact you often hear in America of people being sentenced to hundreds of years in prison.

Shame on the Western Allies who turned a blind eye at the time, to the atrocities which was going on under their noses.

I get that too, perhaps we should simply go back to a life sentence meaning life, not 25 years, not until youre considered rehabilitated, but life, whether thats 5 years because youre 65 years old or 60 years because youre 30 years old? 

I think that the sentence also has to reflect the persons standing in society. The Tam Broon scenario (although Broon stays in Dunfermline and not Bowershall but is fairly ugly) versus Adam Johnston is case in point. If they both committed the same crime it could be argued that Johnston used his status as a prominent sporting celebrity (in that area) to commit the crime and thereby abused a position of power and trust on top of the crime itself. I suppose it would be like joe public or a bank employee stealing from a bank, both guilty but the one abusing the position of trust should receive a heavier sentence IMO.   

Archived