The Trump Effect

GG Riva

Following on the heels of Brexit, it appears that Donald Trump's successful presidential campaign, in which he appealed largely to the WASP majority, is manifesting disturbing consequences, not just in the USA, but across the Western World.  White supremacists, neo-Nazis and assorted right wing nut jobs have taken great encouragement from these outcomes and are now crawling out of the woodwork. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think we're going to see an increase in race and hate crime and a greater intolerance of foreigners in our (civilised) societies.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with the number of media sources all vying to get their message across, the whole story is sensationalist.

There is a movement at the moment that basically says the people dont believe in politics anymore.  Perhaps the whole political landscape and process is antiquated and needs brought to the 21st Century? Perhaps politicians are careerist rather than idealist? 

Of course, social media exaggerates the news with any Tom Dick or Harry able to post messages which might be open to misinterpretation... One person misunderstanding context sets the tone of discussion rather than the intended message of an OP.  

The only thing open to debate about the original post is the extent to which the bigotry and racism will increase. Of course all manner of the right - from Le Pen to White Supremacists - are more optimistic than they have ever been.

You can talk as much as you want about the revolt of the masses, but there is no ignoring the side effects.

The majority  passengers on the good ship Brexit may have been decent people with genuine concerns (albeit with varying degrees of credulity), but it was steered by various high profile dubious characters such as Farage. Below decks in the engine room, stoking up the hate that without doubt fueled some of the campaign, were the outright fascists and racists. How validated must they be feeling?

As for the media, and social media, I know there is a tendency for certain agendas to be pushed forward when it comes to so called hate crimes. I would actually go as far to say that the BBC web and the Guardian p1ss me off in their propensity to push and sensationalise stories, but to say that racists haven't been emboldened is a fiction.

The behaviour of the BBC or the Guardian pales when compared to the rest of the media. Leaving the fascistic _"Enemies of the people" headline (and the bigoted and homophobic flotsam and jetsam that surrounded  the general coverage of that story) aside, only yesterday, in a largely made up story, an immigrant in a foreign nation was named and had his photo published in the Sun, where he was vilified with no ability to reply.

If you think nothing has changed, you are not looking hard enough.

''I don't think there is any argument that there is a slightly elevated platform for some of these groups.  I do believe the level of uprising has been greatly exaggerated, by the press, and @GG Riva O.o.  Its being implied that its apocalyptic.''

I can't quite see how you construed my OP as '' apocalyptic'', Vinnie, but I don't really get your complacency. We really don't want these people with extreme views to be getting any kind of impression that these are in any way acceptable. I don't think you can put all the support for far right parties down to protest votes - they say and stand for what many voters believe to be right and true. I've often wondered how someone like Adolf Hitler could have come to power in Germany and ''achieve'' what he did with his Nazi Party. Nothing like that could ever happen again, could it?

''All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing'' - Edmund Burke.

I didnt just blame you GG, I predominently blamed the media.

Let me say this, I dont believe that there is any greater number of nutjobs out there.  There are, however, a greater number of platforms for them to spread their message.  

I see folk liking and sharing posts on Facebook from the likes of Britain First.  In amongst the more extreme posts, there are messages that are moderate.  Should I assume that these people are crackpots for liking and/or sharing moderate content, because I know Britain First can be extreme on some issues? 

I can support much of SNP policy, but not all policy.  I can see benefit in some Labour policy, and some Tory policy.  I might even agree with Brexit - Does that make me a crackpot nutjob looking for a fight? 

I imagine that 7 or 8 times out of 10, folk see a picture or a meme on Facebook, they might agree and therefore like, without actually paying attention to who the poster may be.  

I also imagine the administrators of these pages are dweeby keyboard warriors, rather than the stereotypical swastika tattooed skinheads folk may expect.  As are many of their respondents. 

'' I do believe the level of uprising has been greatly exaggerated, by the press, and ‌@GG Riva''

''I didnt just blame you GG, I predominently blamed the media.''

I know you weren't suggesting I was as much to blame as the media, Vinnie, but you did lump me in there with them and there was no distinction made in your earlier post, so you can't blame me for my retaliatory reply. :-)

I take your point that not everyone who has right wing views is a nut job, but I do believe that it's unhealthy to hold extreme views, be they right or left wing and we need to try and educate people on this rather than fuel their basic fears and prejudices as Donald Trup and the Brexiteers have recently done.

I know you weren't suggesting I was as much to blame as the media, Vinnie, but you did lump me in there with them and there was no distinction made in your earlier post, so you can't blame me for my retaliatory reply. :-)

It was quite deliberate, just to get an old fellas blood pressure going!! O.o

we need to try and educate people on this rather than fuel their basic fears and prejudices as Donald Trup and the Brexiteers have recently done.

Quite a generalisation that all Brexiteers are fuelling prejudice.  There are reasons for voting for Brexit that have nothing to do with racial or religious prejudice.

''Quite a generalisation that all Brexiteers are fuelling prejudice.''

I think you'll find the word in bold was added by yourself, Vinnie, but perhaps, for the avoidance of any doubt, I might have used ''some'' or even better ''many'', to ensure that anyone looking to nitpick would have been struggling. :-)

Thats the thing though @GG Riva, you didnt use "many" or "some" Brexiteers in your post.  And thats partly my point.  What we have is a missed word changing the intended context of your post, in the same way that the media do. And yes I was nit-picking, I gathered that you didnt mean all, which is because I have an idea of you as a person via a relatively small forum.... Posted elsewhere, I might have not recognised that.

Its the written media that is causing the division.  A simple word missing from a statement makes all the difference and establishes agenda.

There are divisive characters on either side.  Both sides are making generalised comment about the other side, intended or not.

And again, this allows me to go back to my initial point, that the level of crackpot uprising has been exaggerated. 

''And again, this allows me to go back to my initial point, that the level of crackpot uprising has been exaggerated.''

Can't argue with the rest of your post, Vinnie and I hope to God you're right about your last point. History teaches us that humanity regularly repeats its mistakes because we fail to learn from them.

''And again, this allows me to go back to my initial point, that the level of crackpot uprising has been exaggerated.''

Can't argue with the rest of your post, Vinnie and I hope to God you're right about your last point. History teaches us that humanity regularly repeats its mistakes because we fail to learn from them.

I hope so too.  Time obviously will tell.

• 8 months later...

The big scumbag mentalist has not only been making up that he received phone calls saying how great he is, but he's now set up his own propaganda news channel.

He's a truly hideous individual in every single way. The insecurity is staggering; he's genuinely mentally ill and needs help. He also needs to be shot in the ****ing head for being a dangerous, racist, sexist, monumental piece of ****.

Archived