Who runs the UK?

GG Riva

To be fair for a second, if Treseme was advocating Norn Iron somehow being in the single market or a customs union with the EU while the rest of the UK wasn't, then I'm glad the DUP said no to that one. That just seems like utter madness (Mind you Brexit in general still seems like utter madness to me, especially since it's now more than clear that the Leave side had no actual clue what they'd do in the event that they won).

Seems to me there was very little Brexit progress until less than a fortnight ago.  Suddenly we almost have a deal.  And major issues seem to have suddenly become non-issues.  Its a stumbling block but Im not so sure its impassable.  

On the question of May, she should never have called a snap-election, and as a Remain voter she should never have become PM overseeing Brexit. Too many mistakes and too many inconsistencies and she just looks weak. 

"As a Remain voter she should have never become PM"

Why? Because a tiny sliver of a majority voted a certain way in a one off plebiscite?

It is incredible how it is taken foregranted that the 51% who voted for Brexit are hardline, no deal is better than any deal Brexiteers! When he wasn't plastering giant lies on buses, even Boris Johnson during the campaign said that Brexit did not imply leaving the single market.

To be fair, the issue over Ireland seems to have been solved relatively easily. It is just circumstances in Westminister that are scuppering it.

For the original question who is running the UK? The answer is no one as the government are too busy dealing with Brexit.

"As a Remain voter she should have never become PM"

Why? Because a tiny sliver of a majority voted a certain way in a one off plebiscite?

It is incredible how it is taken foregranted that the 51% who voted for Brexit are hardline, no deal is better than any deal Brexiteers! When he wasn't plastering giant lies on buses, even Boris Johnson during the campaign said that Brexit did not imply leaving the single market.

Its about credibility for me.  Shes not credible and not respected.  I'm actually surprised that the EU Negotiating Team didn't exploit that more. 

Is that not hindsight talking now with regards her credibility? Before the election the Tories were smugly gearing up for a generation in government. 

Probably a little bit. I always felt that a "Remainer" was the wrong choice to lead Brexit though. 

Is that not hindsight talking now with regards her credibility? Before the election the Tories were smugly gearing up for a generation in government. 

Probably a little bit. I always felt that a "Remainer" was the wrong choice to lead Brexit though. 

If Remainers were ineligible, the choice for PM would have been somewhat restricted,  Vinnie. Around 550 of them were in favour of staying in the EU, before the Referendum, allegedly. Still, you could always have had Boris or Farage.

I agree with you in the sense that it is their mess and they should clean it up, but all of the main Brexiteers ran for cover / committed fratricide if you recall.

If Remainers were ineligible, the choice for PM would have been somewhat restricted,  Vinnie. Around 550 of them were in favour of staying in the EU, before the Referendum, allegedly. Still, you could always have had Boris or Farage.

Not quite true GG - only about 360-ish total Tory MP's at the time, not sure how many were Leavers - probably about a third, it certainly limits the choices available.  Boris - no, Farage isn't even a Tory - so no. 

I agree with you in the sense that it is their mess and they should clean it up, but all of the main Brexiteers ran for cover / committed fratricide if you recall.

Indeed.  I don't know which Leavers have anywhere near the skillset to be PM. 

''Not quite true GG - only about 360-ish total Tory MP's at the time, not sure how many were Leavers - probably about a third, it certainly limits the choices available.  Boris - no, Farage isn't even a Tory - so no. ''

Slight misunderstanding there, Vinnie. My 550 referred to the total number of MPs (out of some 700+) who were believed to be in favour of remaining, before the Referendum. As for Farage, that wasn't a serious suggestion - I only put him up since he was so passionately in favour of Leave.

And what have you got against Boris? He and Trump would have made a great team. ;-)

Archived