'Netflix effect' poses challenge to British TV

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

How many folk still watch just the BBC and ITV on the telly?

According to the BBC more folk subscribe to Netflix and Amazon than subscribe to Sky and Virgin.  Surely its simple.....  make better TV shows, show fewer repeats, and charge less, and they'd likely regain the ground theyre losing. 

I think the whole 'on demand' thing is the key to it.  People want to be able to watch what they want, when they want, where they want now.  I prefer the TV to tablets etc, but don't actually watch much TV.

23 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

I very rarely watch either BBC or ITV

mainly just use TV for watching live sport or stuff I have recorded. 

Its not really a surprise that more are subscriving to online providers and just watching shows when they want.

I can't remember the last thing I made a point of watching on any of the terrestrial channels (except the World Cup).  Most of the stuff I watch on Sky is movies, box sets or SSN.  The cost is incredible now, and continues to grow with the advent of new technologies like UHD, Sky Q and so on.

Guest The Beer Baron

Habits change, traditional TV is being replaced as already mentioned. It'll hang around for a while but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have it as it is now, in say 30 years.

1 hour ago, Teuchter said:

Like Channel 4 red triangle films do you mean?

Naw. Good old fashioned subtitles (used to be page 888 on ceefax). Mrs Fu is sensitive to noise so we have the TV volume permanently aff. Tbh, all the major channels on both cooncul telly and sky have subtitles. Just curious as to whether the streaming channels have them.

TV viewing habits have changed - I recently had Sky Q installed, and the installer was telling me that Sky intend to moving away from satellite dish services and operate online. 

Obviously, my first question would be how much cheaper my service will be considering they will not need to pay rental on satellite channelling signals?  If Netflix can offer services for under a tenner, Sky should be aiming to get very very close to that

4 hours ago, Fu_Manchu said:

Naw. Good old fashioned subtitles (used to be page 888 on ceefax). Mrs Fu is sensitive to noise so we have the TV volume permanently aff. Tbh, all the major channels on both cooncul telly and sky have subtitles. Just curious as to whether the streaming channels have them.

They usually do @Fu_Manchu.  Because they aren't live events, the subtitles tend to be available.  Its obviously that bit harder to subtitle live events.

Aye, live events are more awkward. Watching the half hour news on the BBC, the subtitles go missing for a minute or two. Guessing that they change subtitlers at that point. Tbh, the only show/film that would entice me is The Man in the High Castle but I know that I would end up comparing it to the original novel and end up disappointed.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

TV viewing habits have changed - I recently had Sky Q installed, and the installer was telling me that Sky intend to moving away from satellite dish services and operate online. 

Obviously, my first question would be how much cheaper my service will be considering they will not need to pay rental on satellite channelling signals?  If Netflix can offer services for under a tenner, Sky should be aiming to get very very close to that

Have you found that your broadband is much worse since you got Sky Q installed?

Mine has definitely been poorer, and I've got a few mates had the same issue.

Archived