'Netflix effect' poses challenge to British TV

12 hours ago, Fifes Elite said:

Is now tv any good as a substitute for sky?

Not really - you still have to pay for packages for box sets or sports or the movies and the likes - but as far as I can make out, its a watered down package

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:51, SanguinePar said:

Still value the BBC though, and glad to pay the license fee to keep them going.

Tongue firmly in cheek?

The BBC has generated its own funding for a number of decades now - whether its selling the rights to its books, selling its programming via DVD sales, merchandising and magazines, selling its programmes to foreign TV companies for inclusion in TV packages. 

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Tongue firmly in cheek?

The BBC has generated its own funding for a number of decades now - whether its selling the rights to its books, selling its programming via DVD sales, merchandising and magazines, selling its programmes to foreign TV companies for inclusion in TV packages. 

Time for the TV licence to be put to bed and for the BBC to pay its own way.

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Tongue firmly in cheek?

Tongue not in cheek at all. Do you have a source for that self funding claim? Not saying you're wrong, but would be good to see the numbers.

18 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Tongue not in cheek at all. Do you have a source for that self funding claim? Not saying you're wrong, but would be good to see the numbers.

To be honest, I don't.  I do know that they generate revenues via various self sufficient sources such as their BBC Worldwide holdings company that is parent to BBC Worldwide companies in pretty much every developed country.

Might be worth having a look on Companies House for figures?  The sort of things I'm talking about are the Dr Who toys and merchandise that accompanies each new series of late - BBC takes royalties, along with royalties for sales of Dr Who magazine, Teletubbies toys and magazine, Top Gear magazine that supports the TV series, there is a Match of the Day magazine.  Then they sell TV programmes likes of EastEnders to foreign TV companies, or via BBC America and the like.  The revenue streams are sizeable.

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

To be honest, I don't.  I do know that they generate revenues via various self sufficient sources such as their BBC Worldwide holdings company that is parent to BBC Worldwide companies in pretty much every developed country.

Might be worth having a look on Companies House for figures?  The sort of things I'm talking about are the Dr Who toys and merchandise that accompanies each new series of late - BBC takes royalties, along with royalties for sales of Dr Who magazine, Teletubbies toys and magazine, Top Gear magazine that supports the TV series, there is a Match of the Day magazine.  Then they sell TV programmes likes of EastEnders to foreign TV companies, or via BBC America and the like.  The revenue streams are sizeable.

I'm not going to go looking for evidence of something you claimed to be true. Until I see it, I'll continue to regard the license fee as essential to the survival of the BBC 

I used to see some value for the BBC from the public service angle, but that has evaporated long ago. 

The news coverage has long lost objectivity. I don't think there is a particular left / right or unionist / nationalist bias. I have had the impression that the BBC's so called journalists have been full of their own self importance for a long time.

The kind of bias that the Nats continually ( and in a lot of cases justifiably) bleat about has been evident for a long time. I listened to Radio Scotland regularly in the mornings about 12 to 15 years ago, and it was clear that during interviews, presenters were not at all interested obtaining information, but much more interested in being a pound shop Paxman and catching out the politician in a tabloidesque fashion. Stories were geared to out the government rather than looking at what lay behind. Of course, the Nats lapped it up at the time, the same as the opposition do now, but it is tedious and uninformative.

As for Paxman, his most famous moment that the middle classes cream themselves over was repeatedly asking Michael Howard the same question. That's not top class journalism, that's just fcking repetition!

Bang up to date - the photoshopping of Corbyn's hat on Newsnight was out of order. From another angle, the fact that man child (intellectually) Owen Jones is considered to be someone whose "expertise" is worth sharing on the flagship news show illustrates how far it has sunk.

The only thing that I listen to now is Off the Ball and 6 music. Let's look at the demographic of 6 musics listeners? It is essentially subsidised wireless for middle class, middle aged indie kids. Should this be the business of the state? If it went private and stayed much the same, I would subscribe. 

Finally, Gary Linekar. His wage packet is bigger than the BBC's expenditure on Scottish football.

Screw the licence fee. 

Whether they are self sufficient, I think that they certainly could be. The only clause I would insert would be for them to retain some sort of status that protected them from takeover. 

Jeremy Corbyn is in Edinburgh today - he wants to tax tech businesses heavily to subsidise reducing the TV Licence for the poor, and he's to announce his grand plan later.  I think he's lost touch with the folk he is trying to represent - most folk have subscriptions to Netflix or Amazon or Sky/Virgin, or any combination of them, so who is he really helping here?

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Jeremy Corbyn is in Edinburgh today - he wants to tax tech businesses heavily to subsidise reducing the TV Licence for the poor, and he's to announce his grand plan later.  I think he's lost touch with the folk he is trying to represent - most folk have subscriptions to Netflix or Amazon or Sky/Virgin, or any combination of them, so who is he really helping here?

He was actually saying that the tax on tech firms would be to support better journalism. Doesn't seem like a bad idea on the face of it IMO, at least as a counterpoint to an industry very much dominated by corporate-friendly sharks like Murdoch and the Rothermere family.

Archived