Brexit

DougieDave

11 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Politicians have %£#ked this country for generations to come, however this pans out now IMO.

Particularly the ones who stuck ludicrous promises on the sides of a bus, or gambled with country's future to appease their own party.

The only thing that I predicted a day after the referendum was that whatever happened there would be a large amount of disharmony. It was the only thing that could come out of such a narrow margin.

A no deal is the only acceptable option now. I hope that is what happens.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Beer Baron

It ****s things around for us living abroad too. No idea what might happen although the German authorities in some areas have begun getting their UK population to sign up for residency. Here, nothing yet.

21 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

It ****s things around for us living abroad too. No idea what might happen although the German authorities in some areas have begun getting their UK population to sign up for residency. Here, nothing yet.

I think reciprocal agreements will be in place quite fast between the UK and the major EU countries in the event of a no deal as both sides have a lot at stake.

Amazingly I read of a woman in Spain who voted for Brexit complaining about the uncertainty. She said that she was concerned about immigration in the UK.

1 hour ago, Teuchter said:

Amazingly I read of a woman in Spain who voted for Brexit complaining about the uncertainty. She said that she was concerned about immigration in the UK.

I wouldnt call her a thick b**ch ... Id just say she has some really bad luck when it comes to engaging her brain

21 hours ago, Teuchter said:

A no deal is the only acceptable option now. I hope that is what happens.

Can I ask why you think that?  I personally an extension that gives Scotland time to get the **** out of the UK is the only acceptable option whether that's by a referendum or seceding without one. 

53 minutes ago, The Bad Guy said:

Can I ask why you think that?  I personally an extension that gives Scotland time to get the **** out of the UK is the only acceptable option whether that's by a referendum or seceding without one. 

Just frustration and looking at the reaction down South and thinking "well, if that is what they want, give them it".

If an extension works in Scotland's favour and could realistically usher in independance I would be happy with that and let England deal with the inevitable ****estorm that will come when the radid right wing ****ebags take to the street.

Whatever happens it will not be good. There is almost no point in caring anymore.

I dont think an extension works in Scotlands favour.  Other than we carry on as we are, doing business as we are, etc etc...

I dont think we'll ever get a deal.  I think that Theresa May is too stubborn to offer a second referendum - although I dont particularly think there should be on anyway.

To me the options are simple, leave with the deal we have or leave with no deal.  Too many folk are complicating it. 

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I dont think an extension works in Scotlands favour.  Other than we carry on as we are, doing business as we are, etc etc...

I dont think we'll ever get a deal.  I think that Theresa May is too stubborn to offer a second referendum - although I dont particularly think there should be on anyway.

To me the options are simple, leave with the deal we have or leave with no deal.  Too many folk are complicating it. 

When you say leave with the deal we have, do you mean May's deal? Because I agree with your second paragraph opener - I don't think we'll ever agree a deal that will make it past the EU and the Commons, including her now-twice-rejected deal.

To me it's going to be either no deal or no Brexit, and hopefully the latter, although only if there's another referendum to vindicate withdrawing Article 50. Doing it without really wouldn't be right. Leaving without any deal will be a disaster.

Of course, if there's another referendum, it would be a chance for May to bypass the Commons and try to get the public to vote for her deal after all ad pretty much force Parliament's hand. I doubt it'd pass, but you never know.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

When you say leave with the deal we have, do you mean May's deal? Because I agree with your second paragraph opener - I don't think we'll ever agree a deal that will make it past the EU and the Commons, including her now-twice-rejected deal.

To me it's going to be either no deal or no Brexit, and hopefully the latter, although only if there's another referendum to vindicate withdrawing Article 50. Doing it without really wouldn't be right. Leaving without any deal will be a disaster.

Of course, if there's another referendum, it would be a chance for May to bypass the Commons and try to get the public to vote for her deal after all ad pretty much force Parliament's hand. I doubt it'd pass, but you never know.

I mean that the two options are leave with No Deal, or leave with May's Deal.  To me, May's Deal is a pretty poor deal, but, that is slightly more appealing than No Deal Brexit.  No Deal Brexit now appears to be off the table, so the winner by default is May's Deal.  

When I say, we'll never get a deal, I mean there will never be a deal in place that suits all.  I certainly dont see the EU giving any more concessions now that the negotiation period is done and dusted.  A simple analogy being that if your wife leaves you, you dont give them everything they want in the settlement.  

Its all getting a bit tedious now.  Neither of our two main parties appear capable of dealing with the fall out from this whole process and I reckon that by the time the next General Election comes around, we'll be no further forward.  And at that time, any party thats willing to offer a second referendum may well make up the next Government.  

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

It now appears there will be no second referendum... so the default option is May's Deal.

Nah, today's vote on a second referendum was far from the last we'll hear of it. The vote was on a backbencher's amendment to the government's 'delay Brexit' motion, most of Labour abstained to focus on achieving the delay and it was not even supported by the People's Vote campaign.

Now that the government managed to actually win a vote (albeit one that they didn't want to call, that their Brexit minister argued for officially and then voted against, and that their Chief Whip whipped in favour of, then abstained) they'll go to the EU and ask for more time. Assuming they get it (likely but not certain) that's when the real serious attempts at a second referendum will get started.

Archived