Declan Rice

Paradox

Completely agree with the comments here even though we got lucky with Stuart McCall after he was an unused sub for England.  Once a player has been part of a squad for one country's under 21 side in a match competitive or not, he should be no longer eligible for anyone else unless there are extenuating circumstances i.e. Kosovo

On 14/02/2019 at 15:55, lambo1885 said:

The rule should be as soon as you've played for 1 country that's it. None of this friendly nonsense, even playing u21 for one and full for another isn't really right for me.

Completely agree. In fact I'd go further and have it that when you sign your first senior contract you declare which country you belong to, and that's it. If you think you might be good enough for a top side, or England, say so then, but no going back later.

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

Reminds me of the clamour to get Jordan Rhodes 'signed up' fully for Scotland.

Rarely got a game after all the fuss!

Was there not talk about Scotland trying to get Nacho Novo as well?  Something to do with the length of time he'd lived in Scotland?

Imagine if he had scored against Espania.

As far as Im concerned youre one nationality and thats it... although nationality is sometimes disputed, some say its the country of birth, some say its your parentage.  

Alot of countries abuse the rules, Diego Costa I think was born in Brazil but plays for Spain, Zidanes parent are Algerian, Mesut Ozils parents are Turks.  Somebody, ie FIFA, need to make a decision about whos from where. 

The thing about doing that, is Algerian football could have improved far quicker had Zidane played for the right country? Maybe?  

I don't have an issue with the parentage rule - but it should only apply to your birth parents, and not grandparents.

I think the point made earlier about committing to your nationality when you sign your first senior contract is a good one.

Too many cheap caps handed out these days IMO.

Cricket is another sport affected by this IMO.  Kevin Pieterson and Eoin Morgan as an example.

Guest The Beer Baron

We tried to get Lorenzo Amoruso but he'd played under 21 for Italy and at the time, rules said no. He was up for it to, and could have been great.

In sports it is probably easy enough to put something in place to demand a commitment. The Costa and Rice examples  are unusual in the sense that the flexibility usually benefits smaller or less talented nations. Demanding commitment is not the same as making up someone’s mind for them. 

A lot of the time, as far as younger players go, all the fuss turns out to be meaningless. Remember Islam Feruz  at Celtic then Chelsea a few years back who turned his back on Scotland? The last that I saw of him he couldn’t even break into a poor Hibs side. 

Archived