Scotland Sqaud

the saline hill puma

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Allan McGregor

Defenders: Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Grant Hanley, Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Charlie Mulgrew, Andrew Robertson, Graeme Shinnie, Steven Whittaker

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya, Scott Brown, Darren Fletcher, James Forrest, Shaun Maloney, James McArthur, Kevin McDonald, James Morrison, Matt Ritchie

Forwards: Steven Fletcher, Leigh Griffiths, Chris Martin, Steven Naismith, Jordan Rhodes, Johnny Russell

I would only change one player, and it would be dropping James Forrest, he is totally useless. Glad Jordan Rhodes is back in the sqaud but i think he will just play against Gibraltar, might get on if we are chasing the game against Poland

Poland first up, need to win.  I'd keep that game tight, one up front as is our best set up at present.  Naismith to start, Rhodes to partner Naismith second half if we need to start chasing.  Or Martin and Russell play together at club level so worth a punt if we need?

Id unleash Rhodes on Gibralter, let him experience international football again.

Marshall

Shinnie     Martin       Hanley      Robertson

Fletcher(c)

Russell           McArthur          Anya

Morrison

Naismith

I'd have that as the team vs Poland. Rather experimental mind, and of course there is absolutely no chance Strachan will have anything like that team out. However, I think it gives the best chance of scoring goals. I think we will most likely concede regardless of who we have in defence, so we really need to be creating chances. I feel that Robertson and Shinnie give us the best chance of providing the most effective attacking support from either side. Fletcher is the guy to take the ball from the defence and start moves, rather than have Martin and Hanley punt the ball aimlessly up the pitch and concede possession. Also Fletcher has a brilliant workrate and will provide support both defensively and going forward. Brown needs dropped as he is off form for both club and country, plus he is most likely desperate to prove he is still the player he was, and I'm just not sure that he can control himself to not do something stupid and get an early card. McArthur however is very much on form, and is a very good footballer. His drive going forward would be vital. Russell hasn't been given much chance, but I feel that he is another player on form and most likely relatively unknown by the Polish. He is quick and skillful down the wing and can provide great support for the striker. I wouldn't be upset with Ritchie in the same position however. It was between them both for me. Anya should be one of the first guys on our team sheet. We just seem to have more of a threat when he plays. He's another with fantastic workrate. He also can handle the pressure as his cool finish in Germany showed.

Morrison is still a good player despite not being the best for Scotland recently, and I feel he would be the best to play just ahead of the midfield when going forward but able to drop back deeper when defending.

Naismith I think is the best of the available strikers, and has done well before for Scotland in that role. Steven Fletcher simply shouldn't be in the squad at the moment. He just isn't very good at the moment.

Regarding the Gibraltar game, the team line up isn't really important as we will beat them anyway, so I'd use it to give guys like Rhodes, Russell, McDonald and Shinnie competitive game time.

Guest The Beer Baron

Don't think Hutton deserves to be dropped, nor Brown. Morrison however shouldn't be near the team after Georgia. Utter ****. Wasn't the only one to be fair though. But then again, I think we've blown it by getting our totties in Georgia again, bottling it big style. Poland are a fantastic team and on fire right now, they'll easily beat us. Hope I'm massively wrong!

Don't think Hutton deserves to be dropped, nor Brown. Morrison however shouldn't be near the team after Georgia. Utter ****. Wasn't the only one to be fair though. But then again, I think we've blown it by getting our totties in Georgia again, bottling it big style. Poland are a fantastic team and on fire right now, they'll easily beat us. Hope I'm massively wrong!

Hutton is so wasteful in possession I feel. We can't afford to be giving the ball away so much to a team as good going forward as Poland. Brown has been off form and totally deserves to be dropped. As I mentioned, under pressure and with him desperate to prove himself, he can't be trusted not to make stupid challenges and get himself at least a yellow and perhaps give away free kicks in dangerous positions. Luckily I never saw the Georgia game but from what I heard the entire team were wank, so unfair to single out just Morrison. Morrison is playing well for his club and is a good footballer, plus can play that role well.

Don't think Poland will easily beat us. If this game was in Poland then I think they would, but at Hampden in these sort of games we always seem to have an extra something. Sometimes it's not enough and we lose, but it's never easily. We always seem to have a deciding game at Hampden at the end of a campaign (I can think of Italy, Czech Republic, Holland for example) and we've never been easily beaten in any of them. Poland are certainly capable of winning, but if they do it will be far from easy.

Like the look of that team @Colonel John Matrix!

Aye it would be good. But there is absolutely no chance Strachan will play it. I think we can all predict almost exactly the team Strachan will pick. He has his favourites and his system and unfortunately won't change it.

I'm pretty sure Morrison is suspended for the Poland game after his last booking anyway.

I disagree on Brown, and Fletcher is no more a driving force going forward than Brown is, they are actually quite similar, but Fletcher just isn't as aggressive. I wouldn't be upset if Fletcher was in the team though.

I think folk are bumming Poland up a wee bit too much. Yes, they ran Germany close but Germany aren't the team that won the World Cup, they are honking at the back for a start. If you put any sort of pressure on that back four and they make mistakes, especially when you have a player of Lewandowski's quality.

We were unlucky not to beat Poland over there and have beaten them in the last 5 years. We are a better side than folk give us credit for. Maybe not technically, but we are a good TEAM unit. The last few games, I felt we got the tactics wrong. it will be more interesting to see if he has learned from that or not. 

The inclusion of Forrest suggests not, as he is absolutely murder...

Archived