Climate Change Protesters

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess living on a planet of a finite size and humankind expanding, it makes sense to take stock of resource use, so in that respect fair enough.

The thing about the climate change movement that I find dodgy is that there is no debate. People who question the orthodox are written off as heretics (David Belllamy is one example) and there are a great deal of people blindly accepting the creed. I believe that humankind could well be, and probably are, changing the climate, but I do find it ropey that every freak weather event is held up as proof.

I would be extremely ****ed off if my daily life was getting disrupted by a load of self righteous middle class hippies blocking the road.

I get that we do probably pollute the atmosphere.   But at the same time Im sceptical about how much impact we have.  

The Earth has been through various stages of its evolution.  Thousands of years ago we had ice and it all melted, then we had another age, then we had more ice.  And science has calculated a various cycles for this, but there is an element of me that thinks that, possibly this is what we are at the start of now.  Maybe the earth's rotation round the sun isnt as circular as initially thought?  Maybe the earths rotation round the sun is more oval?  Maybe, we have moved further from the sun by a few thousand miles that in the grand scheme of things is nothing, but for the earths evolution is huge?  Of course, its only now that we track records of temperature and rainfall and dry spells and weather conditions. 

That aside has purely speculation on my part, I dont quite understand the tree huggers methods if they hope to gain folks support for their cause?  

Using the examples in London recently, they block whole bus routes and tube lines.  They cause inconvenience to commuters, which just alienates potential supporters.  London is trying to stop folk driving everywhere, trying to encourage folk to use public transport, which you'd think fits with the protesters agenda?  So why block public transport and potentially encourage folks into their cars?  Am I missing the point?  Isnt that just counter productive? 

41 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

if they really cared about the climate they would go and protest in places like India where they have real issue with pollution. 

Yeah, I think we are pretty much switched on to the idea of recycling, and for looking at likes of renewal energy, for trying to encourage use of public transport, etc etc 

I'm not sure how ceating more slow moving traffic, longer vehicular journeys and therefore more emissions helps reduce climate change to be honest. 

This is a stupid tactic IMO. Most people generally agree that climate change is a huge issue and will do their small bit to help, but targeting those people rather than the fossil fuel companies who cause it, and elected officials who can actually legislate for it seems a counter productive way of doing things.

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I get that we do probably pollute the atmosphere.   But at the same time Im sceptical about how much impact we have.  

The Earth has been through various stages of its evolution.  Thousands of years ago we had ice and it all melted, then we had another age, then we had more ice.  And science has calculated a various cycles for this, but there is an element of me that thinks that, possibly this is what we are at the start of now.  Maybe the earth's rotation round the sun isnt as circular as initially thought?  Maybe the earths rotation round the sun is more oval?  Maybe, we have moved further from the sun by a few thousand miles that in the grand scheme of things is nothing, but for the earths evolution is huge?  Of course, its only now that we track records of temperature and rainfall and dry spells and weather conditions. 

That aside has purely speculation on my part, I dont quite understand the tree huggers methods if they hope to gain folks support for their cause?  

Using the examples in London recently, they block whole bus routes and tube lines.  They cause inconvenience to commuters, which just alienates potential supporters.  London is trying to stop folk driving everywhere, trying to encourage folk to use public transport, which you'd think fits with the protesters agenda?  So why block public transport and potentially encourage folks into their cars?  Am I missing the point?  Isnt that just counter productive? 

Climate change has always existed, your right. However we're talking about man made climate change which is assisting it at an alarming rate .That is the issue and is indisputable, scientifically proven fact.

1 minute ago, Digs said:

Climate change has always existed, your right. However we're talking about man made climate change which is assisting it at an alarming rate .That is the issue and is indisputable, scientifically proven fact.

Question: Alarming rate? 

How do we know its alarming?  What records do we have from the past "x" amount of thousand years to confirm that?  

I think I have already agreed that we pollute the atmosphere, and that is perhaps indisputable, but alarmingly?  

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Question: Alarming rate? 

How do we know its alarming?  What records do we have from the past "x" amount of thousand years to confirm that?  

I think I have already agreed that we pollute the atmosphere, and that is perhaps indisputable, but alarmingly?  

It's alarming because it's happening way faster than at any other point in recorded history.

CO2 emissions are known to cause climate change.

CO2 levels never went above a certain level for about 800,000 years up to 1950. They were able to measure this in core samples taken from ice known to be at least that age. It went up and down but stayed reasonably constant up to that point varying at fairly consistent levels. In the past 60 years they have nearly doubled to a level they have never been before.

That's why it's alarming.

All explained here, along with easily understandable, scientifically verifiable information from a reputable source https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

8 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

if they really cared about the climate they would go and protest in places like India where they have real issue with pollution. 

Where is India’s, and especially China’s, increased industrial output ending up? The Western world, still by far the richest and biggest consumers on the planet, cannot be absolved of responsibility just because polluting has been outsourced.

Climate change protesters in the uk😅😅

we buy 5p bags and recycle our rubbish.... what else do they want us to do?

Our little country is not going to make a difference when the likes of China and India have rivers flowing full of pollution and they don’t give a crap! 

Britain will not help or stop climate change ever! We are to small of a country.

6 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Climate change protesters in the uk😅😅

we buy 5p bags and recycle our rubbish.... what else do they want us to do?

Our little country is not going to make a difference when the likes of China and India have rivers flowing full of pollution and they don’t give a crap! 

Britain will not help or stop climate change ever! We are to small of a country.

LOL. Joke forum for this ****.

Archived