Climate Change Protesters

9 hours ago, Secure Par said:

we buy 5p bags and recycle our rubbish.... what else do they want us to do?

Britain will not help

Arent we helping already?  5p shopping bags is helping, isnt it?  Most folk try to recycle, thats helping, isnt it?  

Obviously, its the tip of the iceberg, but its helping.  

Solar panels on homes, recycling plastic waste in to roads, recycling plastic waste into clothing.  All helping?  No?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Teuchter said:

Do you think a disc is more susceptible to warming than a globe?

I dont believe in flat earth, but, to humour you, I believe that it depends on what angle the disc sits at?  If its horizontal, maybe? 

26 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I dont believe in flat earth, but, to humour you, I believe that it depends on what angle the disc sits at?  If its horizontal, maybe? 

I guessed that and was joking. I just happened to watch an interview with a flat earther the other day, and obviously the bedrock of their theory is a belief in the collusion involving all space agencies.

2 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

I guessed that and was joking. I just happened to watch an interview with a flat earther the other day, and obviously the bedrock of their theory is a belief in the collusion involving all space agencies.

Given the amount of people who would need to be involved in such collusion, and given this need for folk to be famous by Social Media, I dont think anyone could possibly believe that all space agencies and all governments are signed up to a global cover up.

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2019 at 17:11, Vinnie said:

Question: Alarming rate? 

How do we know its alarming?  What records do we have from the past "x" amount of thousand years to confirm that?  

I think I have already agreed that we pollute the atmosphere, and that is perhaps indisputable, but alarmingly?  

Very late to this party, but to add to what @Digssaid, here's a visualisation of climate data from the last few millennia:

earth_temperature_timeline_2x.png

There are actually two views to consider, and given that we only have records of temperatures since around 1910 (I think it was), neither is particularly conclusive.... 

One argument is that its all our own fault, that humans are destroying the planet.  That we've deforested too much or that we have too many car emissions. 

Or, the Earth's orbit of the sun is not spherical, but elliptical.  So over a number of years (however many that may be), the earth will be closer to the sun more constantly and therefore warms up, as there will be times when the earth will be further from the sun, and we have colder spells, to the point where we will experience cycles such as previous ice ages.  

I think there is probably elements of facts in both, we simply dont have enough recorded data yet to have a definitive explanation. 

The stamping of youthful middle class feet in rebellion/tantrum would be nothing compared to the stamping of the same youthful middle class feet if governments actually implemented hardline ecological measures overnight and we necessarily sacrificed perks and modern comforts to cut industrial output.

Save the planet my ar**. The planet will do just fine whatever happens. Humans may die in droves, but the planet will be fine.

There is something every bit as ****ed up about millions hanging on the words of a semi-messianic Scandinavian schoolgirl as there is about the charlatans in number 10 and the Whitehouse.

I've been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time around Native American people, and , reading this thread, I was reminded of this little pearl of wisdom, which is a very old Cree prophecy...

When all the trees have been cut down

When all the animals have been hunted

When all the waters are polluted

When all the air is unsafe to breathe

Only then will you discover you cannot eat money

Simplistic?  Possibly..

True and incisive and pertinent? Absolutely...

8 hours ago, Teuchter said:

The stamping of youthful middle class feet in rebellion/tantrum would be nothing compared to the stamping of the same youthful middle class feet if governments actually implemented hardline ecological measures overnight and we necessarily sacrificed perks and modern comforts to cut industrial output.

Save the planet my ar**. The planet will do just fine whatever happens. Humans may die in droves, but the planet will be fine.

There is something every bit as ****ed up about millions hanging on the words of a semi-messianic Scandinavian schoolgirl as there is about the charlatans in number 10 and the Whitehouse.

There would be if she was the only one saying it, but she's obviously not. I'm not especially familiar with Greta Thunberg, or her specific views, but as part of the general "we need to change fast or humanity is f***ed" narrative I don't have any problem with her. 

I've no doubt that she probably deals in some hyperbole and teenage naivety, but that's only to be expected. She just happens to have become the face of something.

You're right of course that the planet will do fine, in the same way that Venus or Mars does. Those living on it though, not so much, as you say.

Maybe the wording needs to be save humanity, or save life, rather than save the planet - although, tbh I think the unstated "as we know it" is just about as obvious as the unstated "too" in #BlackLivesMatter.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

There would be if she was the only one saying it, but she's obviously not. I'm not especially familiar with Greta Thunberg, or her specific views, but as part of the general "we need to change fast or humanity is f***ed" narrative I don't have any problem with her. 

I've no doubt that she probably deals in some hyperbole and teenage naivety, but that's only to be expected. She just happens to have become the face of something.

It's the hyperbole and certainty that does grate with me - no matter where it comes from. 

i think there are plenty of open questions around the data presented to prove climate change,  but intuitively I do think that the planet is probably warming. That sits alongside the fact we are on a planet with finite resources 

Where the protests fall down, short of despotism, the governments of the developed world can only do so much. Any radical measures that caused a deterioration in lifestyles would just be fodder for populists.

We have to hope that there is time and that the change in consumption habits continue as people become more aware and accepting of what is required. There is a trend towards this anyway.

In reality, it will probably take some serious disasters like the disappearance of coastal towns (in the developed world) to provoke serious action. 

Archived