Home Brewing.

I'm on my third batch in about a year, obviously I'm fairly new to it but have had decent results.

I started with "Woodforde's Wherry"...which turned out fantastic an amber bitter ale very easy on the palate, which ferments in 6 days and conditions after about 2 weeks (although the longer you leave it the better it gets). When transferring to the pressure barrel I used Honey rather than Sugar, genuinely one of the best ales I have ever had and comparable to anything I have had as a guest ale in a pub.

woodfordes_wherry_2.jpg

I then tried Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale...now this was not quite as good as the Wherry imo (and more expensive)...a bit too 'hoppy'...came with a bag of hops that made by flat smell like an Amsterdam coffee shop, while drinkable I was a tad disappointed. If tempted to try this again I'd forgo the hops or certainly try it with less.[

Festival_Golden_Stag_Beer_Kit.jpg

I'm back on the Wherry again and will transfer to the barrel tomorrow, but I'd like to try something else in time for Christmas, thinking of trying Coopers kits which are about £10 cheaper but seem to get good reviews.

Any mini-micro brewers out there with any recommendations for a good kit to try next?

Used to use a lot of the old Boots stuff, not great but as a poor Student it was enough the keep you going. Not the greatest quality but in all probability I was drinking it too early. Had a load of success with wine though. Looks interesting though GD - where did you get the kits from?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived