New Manager

worldwiderab

Let’s face it, Grant is gone.  We can argue about whether it should have happened earlier or not another time but for now, he’ll be well gone by end of this week.

What we DO need to do, is for once, make a decision that shows a bit of ambition.  For me, there is only one manager out there who we could take on, that the fans will give the necessary time to turn round.  I don’t care how much it costs, we go out and get Petrie.  For all the chat around cost, we are losing so much money through lack of fan engagement and apathy.  A decent marketing campaign behind Petrie appointment would have 5000 at the Killie game.  Easy.  There’s an extra £30k-£40k for starters.  

If things do go wrong, and this squad simply isn’t good enough to stay in this league then at least Petrie would be the one manager who could stay in charge and get a full Opportunity to bring us back up.  Let me be clear I don’t think we’d go down but it would be foolish to think we are too good to go down. 

In summary, I think the risks of NOT appointing Petrie are higher than the risk of appointing him, costs included. 

For me there really is only one course of action for the board.  Get it done, get it tied up, give him a week of full training before the Killie game, and smash that reset button.  Game on.

• Upvote 1

This obsession that fans have, not just us, Celtic are just as bad for it, with appointing managers with connections to the club or ex-players just because they were good ex-players is utter nonsense. There is nothing to suggest Petrie would be any good at this level because he has never managed at a club the size of Dunfermline, he's never managed a budget the size of Dunfermline, he's never managed at a club with a support with the expectations like Dunfermline and has never managed full time players full stop. 

I'm not saying he couldn't do that job, I'm saying that he is absolutely still a risk and people talk about him as if he is Pep Gaurdiola. 

If Grant is sacked, which it's looking increasingly likely he will be, then we should follow a proper process of due diligence (something Ross says a lot but arguably failed to do last time round) where we evaluate the applicants who WANT the job and who have the necessary skills capable of taking the club forward. 

The flip side of that is the 82 applicants that keep getting mentioned (a mistake Ross surely regrets making in mentioning them) may have been 82 diddies with even less experience than Grant for all we know. Just because there are a huge number of applicants for a role, it doesn't mean any are any good (trust me, I work in Recruitment) but that also doesn't mean that a rigorous process of evaluation should not be used. 

See who is out there, take our time if we have to because we need some stability and we need to get it right this time.

• Upvote 4

Digs, some fair points there.

However I would hope you’ve not seen my post as a sole partisan piece without any logic behind it.  For me at least Petrie understands the club, and knows the Scottish game with playing in it and managing (albeit in the lower leagues).  He has shown ability at taking an underperforming side from the depths of league 2 to a consistent performer in the top end of league 1.  

That said, I’m all for a full recruitment process as we do need to get this right.  Wouldn’t be displeased nor surprised should that churn out Petrie as the best candidate.

Also, three managers have got us up from the second tier into the top tier since the 80’s.  Leishman, Paton and McIntyre.  All ex-players.  With football being such an emotional game, sometimes the ex player factor does play positively.  Shouldn’t be a sole factor of course, see Crawfords reign as an example - although the stattos would argue with hindsight that Crawford oversaw consistent improvement in league placings!

• Upvote 2

Will petrie be interested in the job? He might have taken it after Crawford left and be able to bring in his own players but now he would be coming in to a club that's in an absolute mess. He has a good job in the bank and probably enjoys being manager at a part time club. I would personally want to bring in a manager that has been involved in full time football before. 

The club were close to giving the job to someone else in the summer and went down to a final day of interviews. 

Any managerial appointment is a risk but the board need to get this one spot on and get the fans back on side. Do I trust the board in getting the big calls correct? No

I think a lot of fans would be happy with yogi getting the job and so would I. Yes he relegated Raith but he has been a success at Falkirk,Inverness and Ross County. We need a proper manager in this time and let him bring in his own coaching team and not this working with what is already here. I am afraid Shields has to follow Grant out the door.

Yogi would be a risk but he has a better CV and experience than petrie.

It wasn't directly aimed at you mate, your post just happened to be above mine, that's why I didn't quote you. I just see him mentioned all the time.

I'm sure he has a great affection for the club but I don;t think it could be said he understands the club. The club now is a very different one to the one he played for, 20-odd years ago. I'm not saying it couldn;t have a positive effect but as high a regard as he is held in with pars fans, particularly of a certain age who grew up during the Paton era, that's not a reason to hire someone and also our fans generally speaking have zero patience so no-one is going to get the time to rebuild anything.

All of those you mentioned were still a risk at their various times for various reasons and you could probably argue all of them were a 'cheap option' at the time. Leish took over at a time of zero expectation, Bert had only a little experience at the time and I don't think anyone could have predicted what was going to happen there, and McIntyre arose as a senior player who also came with playing at a high level in the premier league. All brought something different to the table, the fact they were an ex-player was not a determining factor in their success. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Digs I didn’t think so and thanks for clarifying.   I just hope the board get step 1 correct and have the statement out today to wish Peter Grant all the best and start the search for a new gaffer.

Rosythpar, I worry about Yogi and the time he would get from fans to get it turned around. Like it or not what happened up the road will draw parallels that are worrying.   I agree Shields might have to go as well I’m afraid as he (and Whittaker for this season) have been part of this underperformance as a coaching team.  But if new manager wants to keep him then that should be respected.

Petrie had done a fantastic job at Montrose, so would at least have a track record of success - with players of not a dissimilar standard to the majority of ours.

If you're looking for someone proven in full-time football, they're either out or budget or you'll have to be prepared for some history of performing poorly e.g. Yogi, Robertson, Butcher.

30 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Petrie had done a fantastic job at Montrose, so would at least have a track record of success - with players of not a dissimilar standard to the majority of ours.

If you're looking for someone proven in full-time football, they're either out or budget or you'll have to be prepared for some history of performing poorly e.g. Yogi, Robertson, Butcher.

I think Petrie is the standout candidate from the bottom 3 leagues in Scotland. Pars connection is just a bonus.

Saw that on P&B. If true that would be absolutely unbelievable. Talk about financial suicide.......

They also have a duty of care to Grant, the vitriol directed at him is only going to get worse, the boy is so far out his depth it is incredible, they need to put a stop to this.

Grant out

Edited by Boston Red Sox

2 minutes ago, Boston Red Sox said:

Saw that on P&B. If true that would be absolutely unbelievable. Talk about financial suicide.......

They also have a duty of care to Grant, the vitriol directed at him is only going to get worse, the boy is so far out his depth it is incredible, they need to put a stop to this.

Grant out

Yes I think it will be financial suicide if it is true and a lot of fans will cancel their lifeline

We should find out if it's true tomorrow and if they do back him,the board of directors have some serious questions to answer. If some directors have the best interests of the club at heart,they should walk away be thanked for their efforts for saving the club etc and let the new owners try to move the club on in the future. 

2 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

Yes I think it will be financial suicide if it is true and a lot of fans will cancel their lifeline

We should find out if it's true tomorrow and if they do back him,the board of directors have some serious questions to answer. If some directors have the best interests of the club at heart,they should walk away be thanked for their efforts for saving the club etc and let the new owners try to move the club on in the future. 

That's never going to happen for the simple fact that the Dunfermline Fussball GMBH as majority shareholders don't actually reside in the country and they can't run the club remotely. The people who I assume you are referring to are the ones doing most of the day to day work behind the scenes to actually keep the lights on and replacing those people would cost us serval hundred thousands pounds a year in employees. If they were forced out (they won't be) or had enough and left (they won't) then we would be screwed as a business as there would be no-one left to run it.

• Upvote 3