New Signing

Yorkie

According to COWS we have signed Connolly on loan till January. Not sure what to read into this , I thought we were well covered for central defenders. Perhaps not.

I think there is a much more pressing need to bring in some central midfield creativity/pace  but that is without inside knowledge of the injury situation. 

As it says - We've signed Mark Connolly on loan until January. He was in the first team as recently as 2 weeks ago. I don't know much about the guy but sounds half decent(?)

It does make you wonder about the centre back situation at the club. They can't all be injured and Watson and Gaspuitas have been a decent pairing the last two games.

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Mark_Connolly_signs_for_Dunfermline&ID=13360

That is sad news about Lewis Martin if he hasn't recovered from his injury and I wish him all the best. I suppose apart from Martin we are unsure about what the injury situation is. Breen has yet to make his appearance, and we are unsure if others are perhaps carrying a injury. Graham did well with Cove last season but perhaps stepping into the championship has been a level too much.

36 minutes ago, Superally said:

That is sad news about Lewis Martin if he hasn't recovered from his injury and I wish him all the best. I suppose apart from Martin we are unsure about what the injury situation is. Breen has yet to make his appearance, and we are unsure if others are perhaps carrying a injury. Graham did well with Cove last season but perhaps stepping into the championship has been a level too much.

Its sad with Martin, can this guy cover on the left too?

I think Graham has been badly  mismanaged, he's highly regarded at United but Grant having him in a three man defense with no-one appearing to know what their jobs were. The fact he continued to play him when he needed time out I'm wouldn't be surprised if his confidence is at an all time low.

Don't get me wrong he's been shockingly bad but I do feel he's been hung out to dry and he's a far better player than we have saw.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I guess they've sanctioned it because he's deemed to be better than what we have at the moment in that position.

They have already let Grant sign Leon Jones,Rhys Breen and Ross Graham in that position.

Gaspuitis and Watson have looked a solid enough pairing in the last two games,I wouldn't change them two at the moment and if you do change it you have plenty of other centre backs to pick from.

"They have already let Grant sign Leon Jones, Rhys Breen and Ross Graham in that position."

Rhys Breen hasn't featured for various Covid and injury related reasons, Leon Jones has barely featured and Graham mightn't feature again. 

Maybe they see promise in Jones but want to loan him out until January?  Maybe they think Breen needs more time to challenge for a starting place?  Maybe Graham is going back to Utd with a view to loaning him back to Cove?  I don't know.  However,  it seems like Connolly was a fairly regular starter for United in the Premier League, got a bad injury and is struggling to get game time at the moment.  He's only here for 3 months and if he's available and better than what we have, then it makes sense. 

If he does well, we climb the league and he goes back to Utd, it will be easier to bring guys like Breen and Jones in to a side with a bit of confidence.

• Upvote 1