Sports you've seen live

SanguinePar

Interested to find out the weirdest or most obscure (organised) sports people have been to see live, and also how many different ones.

I'll start with:

• Football
  • Rugby Union
  • Rugby League
  • American Football
  • Darts
  • Horse Racing
  • Cricket
  • Stock Car racing
  • Ice Hockey

That's 9, which seems kind of low tbh. Must be a few more I'm forgetting. Anyway, what about others?

I have watched live more competitive sport than I care to remember. Football and the two forms of rugby obviously. Born in Scotland, live in sports-mad Australia, where 30,000 will turn up to watch a tiddlywinks tournament. Here's what I can remember...  

:)

F1 Motor Racing (Melbourne)

Australian Open Tennis (Melbourne)

American Baseball (Seattle Mariners v San Diego Royals)

Basketball (Australian league)

Classic Car Racing (Silverstone)

Horse Racing (Melbourne Cup)

Cricket (many, many, many...)

UK Car Rally (New Galloway forest)

Woodchopping Tournaments (Tasmania and Queensland)

Rodeo (Queensland)

Truck Racing (Peterborough)

Caber Tossing (Morar and Glenfinnan Highland Games)

And as a competitor...

Yacht racing (Since the 1980s, I have competed all over the UK, Northern Europe and Australia)

Orienteering (Scottish Nationals, Aberfoyle, many moons ago)

Curling (Perth and Melbourne, until my knees gave up)

Frog Racing (Magnetic Island, Queensland... cane toads are by far the most proficient racers)

I’m probably going to forget a few here but here goes:

Football: Junior, Senior, International, Women’s Internationals, UEFA Cup, Champions League, English Premier League, Coca Cola Championship, MLS

Golf: The Open Championship, Muirfield

Cricket: 20/20 ODI, England vs West Indies

Horse Racing: Ayr, Perth, Musselburgh, York, 

Motor Racing: Formula Ford, Doune Hill Climb, RAC Rally

Olympic Triathlon: London 

Rugby 7’s

Athletics

Thats all I can think of for now but I’m sure there’s more I’ve forgotten. The cricket and the golf at Muirfield stand out. West Indies beat a strong England side, and the banter in the crowd was tremendous, as we were the only scots there sitting beside a small band of Windies fans. It was brilliant.

Muirfield wasn’t a great way to watch golf, but to just be up close and personal to the Worlds best was something else as a golfer. I’ll never forget coming up to cross the fairway to get back to hospitality and stumbling across a match including Fred Couples, Nick Faldo and Tom Watson. Stuff dreams are made of. I was also about 10 feet from big Phil who won it that year. 

Horse racing is a brilliant day out and really much more exciting in the flesh. 

I also realised just how much football I’ve watched when I don’t really consider myself as an avid Football spectator. I’ve seen a lot of cool games that I’d forgotten. 

The unusual was the Doune Hill Climb which my dad used to take me to, when he and his pal were thinking about buying a car and racing in it. Great fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Football

Rugby Union

American Football (multiple trips to International Series in London)

Darts (multiple times, the tournament they had at Ingleston and did a Premier League event in Belfast)

Touring Cars at Knockhill…if that counts

Golf - once Scottish Open, at Castle Stuart, the time when it was thudding down with rain and caused loads of delays.

Hockey - just to see the Fife Flyers, again a few times.

Biggest eye opener was the golf, followed Lee Westwood and Molinari for a bit and let’s just say it’s not the gentleman sport and all the correct etiquette that I thought it was.

Darts - (me beating the News of the world champion in Browns Bizarre Kirkcaldy), - True - still have the gold plated darts as my prize 😀

Horse Racing - Cheltenham Festival  - privileged to be allowed down to the Starters rostrum and witness the runners and riders next to me 

Speedway - Berwick Bandits - My Pal John owned them and then went to Poland to bring over some new fresh exciting talent 

Football - Saw my beloved Pars win 2 Scottish Cups 

Trampoline - My Brother was until last year GB's most senior olympic judge - retired now  - true- His specific  was the trampoline as per title 

Boules - watched the old French guys play them in Orange just outside the town square - sat for hours - and marvelled at their skill

Bowls - played against some of the finest bowlers ever in Scotland - W.W. Tattie et al true 

Edited by 1950Par
add info

I have watched Canadian football, twelve players instead of the American eleven and a bigger pitch.

I also watched elephant polo once but never again. Scotland were world champions more than once and I met one of the players in a lift in Gibraltar of all places where I lived for a year or two, we had a slight disagreement about the treatment of the elephants, I think I won the arguement. His DNA is in most probability still in the lift that goes up the main tower of Euro Towers Gibraltar. Do not ever ride on the back or neck of an elephant please, thank you.