Penalty to Rangers!

GG Riva

A Sellick fan pal of mine sent me this article from The Fitbaw Gospel:

"Rangers captain James Tavernier has now scored more penalties than any other player in the history of Scottish football. His 58th strike from the spot today means he takes over from Johnny `The Penalty King` Hubbard who scored 57 between 1949 and 1959.

Rangers have now had 6 penalties in their last 4 domestic games - with 5 in their last 3 league games. They have now also gone a UK record of 67 league games without conceding a penalty - made even more remarkable that it comes during the VAR era.

A testament to the discipline of the Rangers defence over the last two seasons."

If the narrative for winning more penalties is that it's down to Rangers being an attack- minded team that spends a lot of time in their opponents` penalty area, it's hard to argue with that. My pal says there should be similar domestic stats for Celtic, over the same time scale - they have won 10 of the last 11 league titles, after all. He maintains Celtic are around midtable, both for penalties awarded and conceded, although I haven’t seen the stats for that.

Tough one to explain if that is true......🤔

4 hours ago, GG Riva said:

If the narrative for winning more penalties is that it's down to Rangers being an attack- minded team that spends a lot of time in their opponents` penalty area, it's hard to argue with that. My pal says there should be similar domestic stats for Celtic, over the same time scale - they have won 10 of the last 11 league titles, after all. He maintains Celtic are around midtable, both for penalties awarded and conceded, although I haven’t seen the stats for that.

Tough one to explain if that is true......🤔

They're not, they're top. Although the interesting ones I saw was that since 2018 they've had roughly the same amount of penalties, but Celtic have conceded something like 25 to Rangers 6. 

FWIW, I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy, it's just fun for me to wind up Rangers fans with my John Beaton 'Penalty to Rangers' gif, but there is definitely something in it whether it's the intimidating nature of Ibrox, or their fans in general, or that there are disproportionately more Rangers-leaning officials than any other club and whilst they are not consciously giving them more pens and less against them, it's definitely disproportionately in their favour for both pens given and conceded.

Our very own Stanza posted the following on dotnet.I hope he doesn't mind me copying and pasting them on here. He never claimed they were facts and whoever compiled them probably likes Rangers as little as I do.

️- Rangers are currently on a British record run of 67 games without conceding a penalty in the league 

️- the world top flight record is 74 held by Barcelona in the 2011/12 - 2012/13 seasons (which is currently under investigation by Spanish FA)

️-  Barca averaged 80% possession during that time (Rangers averaged 58% during their run) 

️ - before the current 67 game run, Rangers went 44 league games without conceding a penalty 

️ - so they have only conceded 1 penalty in their last 112 league games 

️- Since August 2020 they have the highest penalty differential in Europe’s top 20 leagues, ie pens for minus pens against (as shown in the graph below) 

️ - Since the 20/21 season they have conceded a penalty on average every 42 league games (Celtic every 9 games)

️- from 2018/19 season they have a penalty differential of +43 ( Celtic are +15 for the same period) 

️ - since 2018/19 Rangers have been awarded 52 penalties and conceded 9 (Celtic have had  39 and conceded 24) 

️ - Since last season (when VAR arrived in Scotland) Rangers have had 16 penalties in the league with 0 against (Celtic have had 12 with 7 against) 

️ - They are only team in a league with VAR that has never conceded a penalty since the technology was brought in anywhere in the world 

️ - If Rangers don’t concede a league penalty before the end of this year (8 games) then they will have set a new world record

️ -  James Tavernier is now in the top 10 for the most penalties scored of all time 

️ - out of everyone on the list the Rangers captain has the highest percentage of goals from penalties 

Eta - Not a good read for any objective and fair minded person.

Edited by GG Riva