If the UK leaves the EU

Deutsch Par

• 2 weeks later...

Many SNP supporters are in favour of leaving the EU for obvious reasons 

Vote to leave the EU to force a second independence referendum?

Surely analysis of votes cast would show that Scotland voted for an exit, so on paper it shows we don't support the SNPs wish to be apart of EU.  That would be counter-productive?

Or have I missed the point DD?

I think a lot of SNP supporters see the EU as another infringement on Scotland's right to govern itself. Probably the older, more hardcore SNP supporters I guess.

If your argument for independence was based on Scottish people having full control over Scotland's future/laws etc etc then you'd be a bit of a hypocrite to vote to remain in the EU.

I guess those that just don't like being part of the U.K. or sharing power/sovereignty with England/Wales/NI feel comfortable voting to remain within the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU, the following will happen;

- Russia will invade

- All the banks will leave

- Borders and border guards will be put in place

- We will all be forced to pay for new passports

- Everyone will lose their pension

- Everyone will lose their job

- NATO would kick us out

- No one would want to trade with us

Oh yes and the NHS will be fully protected.

Dont exaggerate! We all know that Maggie T will ressurrect shooting fireballs from her eyes and bazooka rockets from her, er, bazookas!! 

As another angle on this, if the UK as a whole voted to stay, but there was a clear distinction between Scotland and England/Wales/NI (say 70 remain: 30 leave, with EWNI narrowly voting to leave - guessed figures, I haven't done the maths), and it was clear that it was Scotland which was keeping the UK in...

...would that be grounds for EWNI to try to force Scottish independence in order to adhere to the majority view in those three countries?

No, I'm saying that we might keep the UK in the EU, despite the others saying out.

As far as I can tell, the most recent electoral roll numbers are as follows:

Scotland - 3,896,900
England - 37,399,900
Wales - 2,181,800
N Ireland - 1,243,400

So EWNI = 40,825,100

If Scotland voted 70:30 to remain, that'd be 2,727,830 stay and 1,139,070 leave = a net of +1,558,760

So EWNI could vote 21,191,930 leave and 19,633,170 stay (51.9% to 48.1%) but be "kept in" by Scotland.

I'm not sure what latest polling looks like, but it doesn't seem implausible.

Archived