The Wee Team v The Pars

56 minutes ago, livipar2 said:

I’d normally agree with dropping Allan to accommodate Todd, Otoo and Hammy but he has been really good the last 2 games. His set piece delivery is a big threat as well. Tricky decision.

If Bene starts I reckon we’ll be back to 5 at the back.

Bene will be even more desperate to play than normal for this game. I hope he gets his wish. His absence has been a huge factor in us trying to avoid the relegation playoffs, rather than looking to claim a top 4 spot.

But then he came back against Ayr, on a grass pitch, and got injured again - this time after 20 minutes.

Hopefully, he is fully recovered, ready to play and we have sufficient medical expertise left at the club to assess whether an artificial surface presents any additional risk.

I don't get that. The defence is much better with Benedictus in it. If he's fit to play, he should play.  If he's struggling after an hour due to lack of match fitness, he should be subbed.

If we're too worried about him getting injured again to put him on the park, then we will never pick him again.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I don't get that. The defence is much better with Benedictus in it. If he's fit to play, he should play.  If he's struggling after an hour due to lack of match fitness, he should be subbed.

If we're too worried about him getting injured again to put him on the park, then we will never pick him again.

Think it’s more he’s been rushed back twice before and broke down twice. Need caution as need to think of next season with him too

I think we all agree that nobody should be rushed back from injury. He's been on the bench for the last two games, though, so you would have to assume that he is fit to play.  

If you don't play him tomorrow to protect him, when do you decide to put him on the park?

We absolutely need him for next season but if he's fit, we can't stand him down for the rest of this one - as we can't have him leading out the side in League One come next August.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Think it’s more he’s been rushed back twice before and broke down twice. Need caution as need to think of next season with him too

What makes you think that he was rushed back, KP? is it because he picked up another injury each time? I'd completely agree with you if he had aggravated the same injury, but they were totally unrelated, so we can't say he was rushed back. James McPake relies on advice from medical staff in any case. He doesn't just ask the player if he feels OK to play, especially not Bene, as he's notoriously optimistic. 

"It's just a broken metatarsal" he told me, when I saw him in a moonboot after his first injury this season. "I'll be back in 3-4 weeks max."

2 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I guess I'm feeling very cautious about anyone coming back, given what happened earlier this season. He's going to lack match fitness or sharpness I'd imagine... I dunno just feels a risk right now. 

The problem with that reasoning is that we then cannot play him in the next game - as we're at home to Dundee Utd.  They're top of the league, better away from home and we're poor at EEP.  If he is lacking match fitness and sharpness, that's the game where he is most likely to be exposed.

The week after, we are at Cappielow.  Fair enough, they've stumbled in the last couple of weeks, but they've been the best team in the division, results wise, for the 2 or 3 months prior to that.  They also put 5 past us recently, so you would imagine we would be under a fair amount of pressure.  Is that the time to pitch him in?  The week after, we're at Arbroath, which could be a massive game...

Unfortunately, there is no easy game for us to bring him back in

For me, he is either fit to play or he's not.  If he is, he plays and we hope he hits the ground running and makes a difference.  He could get injured again, but so could KRH, Todd or even someone like Edwards - one of the few who has not been on the sidelines yet.  It's just part of the risk of football.

The caveat is, if Bene is not 100%, he shouldn't be considered for the matchday squad at all.  Same goes for everyone, especially based on the way this season has gone.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

What makes you think that he was rushed back, KP? is it because he picked up another injury each time? I'd completely agree with you if he had aggravated the same injury, but they were totally unrelated, so we can't say he was rushed back. James McPake relies on advice from medical staff in any case. He doesn't just ask the player if he feels OK to play, especially not Bene, as he's notoriously optimistic. 

"It's just a broken metatarsal" he told me, when I saw him in a moonboot after his first injury this season. "I'll be back in 3-4 weeks max."

Injury he got down at ayr was the same injury he picked up at raith. Both thigh injuries 

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

The problem with that reasoning is that we then cannot play him in the next game - as we're at home to Dundee Utd.  They're top of the league, better away from home and we're poor at EEP.  If he is lacking match fitness and sharpness, that's the game where he is most likely to be exposed.

The week after, we are at Cappielow.  Fair enough, they've stumbled in the last couple of weeks, but they've been the best team in the division, results wise, for the 2 or 3 months prior to that.  They also put 5 past us recently, so you would imagine we would be under a fair amount of pressure.  Is that the time to pitch him in?  The week after, we're at Arbroath, which could be a massive game...

Unfortunately, there is no easy game for us to bring him back in

For me, he is either fit to play or he's not.  If he is, he plays and we hope he hits the ground running and makes a difference.  He could get injured again, but so could KRH, Todd or even someone like Edwards - one of the few who has not been on the sidelines yet.  It's just part of the risk of football.

The caveat is, if Bene is not 100%, he shouldn't be considered for the matchday squad at all.  Same goes for everyone, especially based on the way this season has gone.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't disagree with your logic and infact I agree with it. I think I just have an unlogical feeling that's severely biased because of previous this season. 

To be even more honest I wasn't expecting much from him or KRH rest of the season and I'd take any comtribution from them as a bonus.