Book recomendations

Fifes Elite

Recently ready Gerrard and Gary Neville's books. Thought they were a bit bland and boring really. Some good tales but mainly they just seemed to be match summaries of certain games they were involved in. 

I like a good military book, like Bravo Two Zero etc - some of McNabs fiction books have been pretty good as well. Along with the Bourne books, really good and totally different stories to the films which are also brilliant.

There is a quality book called First Into Action by Duncan Falconer, about Special Boat Service training and missions etc. It's superb.

I like a good military book, like Bravo Two Zero etc - some of McNabs fiction books have been pretty good as well. Along with the Bourne books, really good and totally different stories to the films which are also brilliant.

There is a quality book called First Into Action by Duncan Falconer, about Special Boat Service training and missions etc. It's superb.

There are some very good military writers.  John Nicholl was an RAF pilot shot down in the Gulf in 1990, he's written a few very good books from an RAF view.  The story of Bravo Two Zero has been written about three times, once by McNab, Chris Ryans version of how he escaped, and then there is the view point of the Kiwi, Stan - Interesting to compare the different versions.

If the SAS is your kind of thing, there was a series of books called "Soldier A", "Soldier B", "Soldier C" and on and on.  True tales of SAS combat.

For a bit of SAS fiction, Terence Strong is a great read.  Writes a lot about the Troubles with NI, following a central character and his team. 

There are some very good military writers.  John Nicholl was an RAF pilot shot down in the Gulf in 1990, he's written a few very good books from an RAF view.  The story of Bravo Two Zero has been written about three times, once by McNab, Chris Ryans version of how he escaped, and then there is the view point of the Kiwi, Stan - Interesting to compare the different versions.

If the SAS is your kind of thing, there was a series of books called "Soldier A", "Soldier B", "Soldier C" and on and on.  True tales of SAS combat.

For a bit of SAS fiction, Terence Strong is a great read.  Writes a lot about the Troubles with NI, following a central character and his team. 

I should add that Jack Higgins is really easy to read too, covering SAS, MI5, WW2 and the IRA. 

There was also a very good diary of the Falklands by a Para who was there on the ground.  For the life of me I cant remember what the book or author are called

I tend to find an author whose style I like and work my way through their books. Watched The Crow Road on TV years ago and got into Iain Banks. It's a good book but I like Complicity even more. Couldn't get into his scifi stuff though.

Have also read all the Andy McNab and Chris Ryan books but these days now that I've got a kindle I tend to just download anything free that's got decent reviews. There's a series called Jet that's about a female mossad agent and one about a south American assassin by Russell Blake.

Started to get into some Tartan Noir particularly Iain Rankin, Stuart McBride, Peter May & Christopher Brookmyre. Mainly read on holidays but all are good reads. I don't read Val McDermid for obvious reasons :)

Started to get into some Tartan Noir particularly Iain Rankin, Stuart McBride, Peter May & Christopher Brookmyre. Mainly read on holidays but all are good reads. I don't read Val McDermid for obvious reasons :)

I like Val McDermid's standalone novels but cannot get into her sets of series. Just finished Coffin Road by Peter May. Excellent book. Also love Rankin's novels. On the subject of crime/thriller novels i also recommend Peter James, Lee Child and Simon Kernick.

Guest The Beer Baron

Currently reading Straight White Male by John Niven. Loving it, everything I love about his stuff. Nothing touches 'The Second Coming' or 'The Amateurs' though.

Archived