Book recomendations

Fifes Elite

Just started reading Gerraint Thomas book "The world of cycling according to G" and already hooked: well written, gives an insight into the life of a cyclist and plenty humour too.

If you can get hold of a copy Sled Driver - the story of the SR-71 Blackbird by one of those lucky enough to pilot one. Extremely rare (and expensive) in print but there are electronic versions available.

I like a good military book, like Bravo Two Zero etc - some of McNabs fiction books have been pretty good as well. Along with the Bourne books, really good and totally different stories to the films which are also brilliant.

There is a quality book called First Into Action by Duncan Falconer, about Special Boat Service training and missions etc. It's superb.

There are some very good military writers.  John Nicholl was an RAF pilot shot down in the Gulf in 1990, he's written a few very good books from an RAF view.  The story of Bravo Two Zero has been written about three times, once by McNab, Chris Ryans version of how he escaped, and then there is the view point of the Kiwi, Stan - Interesting to compare the different versions.

If the SAS is your kind of thing, there was a series of books called "Soldier A", "Soldier B", "Soldier C" and on and on.  True tales of SAS combat.

For a bit of SAS fiction, Terence Strong is a great read.  Writes a lot about the Troubles with NI, following a central character and his team. 

I should add that Jack Higgins is really easy to read too, covering SAS, MI5, WW2 and the IRA. 

There was also a very good diary of the Falklands by a Para who was there on the ground.  For the life of me I cant remember what the book or author are called

For those of you who like the military stuff, and anyone who like a good non-fiction biog or autobiog, then I can wholeheartedly recommend Behind Enemy Lines, by Sir Tommy MacPherson. This guy is an absolute legend, and clearly had a set of brass balls never seen since. A brilliant read from start to finish, the guy had some life.

I'd also recommend Trautmann's Journey: From Hitler Youth to FA Cup Legend, which is the autobiog of Bert Trautmann, the famous Man City goalie who famously broke his neck and played on.

For sheer entertainment value, Paul Merson's How not to be Professional Footballer is quite good, but I think he wrote it in crayon, as I completed it in about 8 hours. Some really entertaining stories in it as you'd imagine though.

Archived