What Format Are You Using?

So far, I have used the forum on a desktop PC, a laptop and smartphone, using Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome as browsers.

Both the mobile version and desktop version seem pretty user-friendly imo.

How are you finding this platform in terms of a 'user experience'?

Using it on my phone now. I've used it on both  Chrome and Safari and it's good on both.

I used it on desktop earlier and I do prefer that tbh but the mobile version is fine for posting. Might be harder to moderate(?) but not looked at that yet.

Only been using it for a few minutes, but have tried desktop and mobile, and so far I much prefer mobile.

Too much white on the desktop version for my liking, and also a very wide text window, which means the eye has to read almost the full width of the screen and then dart right back to the other side.

On mobile, the lines are considerably shorter and easier to read through comfortably (IMO, of course). Still a lot of white though.

I think it's partly because the posts are in white boxes, on a white background - for me it makes it harder to differentiate them. Maybe if either the background or the post boxes had a tint to them? Even just something as light as the tint on the ident box next to each post?

@SanguinePar, in my own experience, I tend to use forums much more on mobile than desktops anyway, but I take your point.

Part of the ethos of this site is that EVERYONE can be included, and so we are trying to ensure that those amongst us who perhaps have some form of visual impairment can also enjoy the site.

I'm not sure if what we have at the moment achieves that, but we would welcome input from anyone who might know.

• The topic was featured

I'm no expert in web accessibility, but from what I've learned over the years, I'd suggest having larger text and a more visually obvious separation between one post and the next. And, as I say, reducing the size of the text boxes would help as well (although if text size was increased, this would slightly negate the issue I think)

^^^^ All meant constructively ^^^^ :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was unfeatured

Archived