Ranieri punted

El Patrón

It was sarcasm. That's different from trolling.

Keep up eh

We need a sarcasm emoji to denote sarcasm.. 

/s (after the sarcastic statement) is the default on Reddit, and works well.

eg: That penalty Hamilton got was absolutely the correct decision /s

I would have thought a ¬¬ or a 9_9 does the trick too? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was sarcasm. That's different from trolling.

Keep up eh

We need a sarcasm emoji to denote sarcasm.. 

/s (after the sarcastic statement) is the default on Reddit, and works well.

eg: That penalty Hamilton got was absolutely the correct decision /s

I would have thought a ¬¬ or a 9_9 does the trick too? 

To me they look like "slightly cross" and "rolls eyes" rather than sarcasm, but might just be me.

'' Ranieri hasn't set the world on fire in his various previous jobs.  Last season was a fluke.  Last season, the probable title challengers all faltered at various stages in the season and fair play to Leicester, they seized on everyone else's inconsistencies and grabbed hold of their chances when they arose.''

That's very harsh, Vinnie. By 'not setting the world on fire' I assume you mean he didn't win any major trophies? Is that the only measure of success in your book? To come second is nothing? Have a close look at Ranieri's CV and you'll see that he's done pretty well in almost every managerial job he's had, with the exception of the Greece national side. That's why he's never been out of work for long. 

At Chelsea, he signed the bulk of the team which went on to win the league under Mourinho, but was sacked for trying to win the first leg of the CL semi-final in Monaco when the hosts went down to 10 men, by putting on an attacker for a defender and it back fired spectacularly. At Juventus, he took them to a 2nd and 3rd place Serie A finish, after the club had come up from Serie B after their enforced relegation for their part in the Calciopoli refereeing scandal. Not good enough, so they brought in Ciro Ferrara, who guided them to a mid table finish. I could go on, but you get the gist.

To label that stunning title triumph a ''fluke'' is doing the man and his man management skills a great disservice. I'll finish with a quote from a Leicester fan:-

''If Vardy got on the end of more crosses than he did photoshoots, his manager might still be in a job. ''

'' Ranieri hasn't set the world on fire in his various previous jobs.  Last season was a fluke.  Last season, the probable title challengers all faltered at various stages in the season and fair play to Leicester, they seized on everyone else's inconsistencies and grabbed hold of their chances when they arose.''

That's very harsh, Vinnie. By 'not setting the world on fire' I assume you mean he didn't win any major trophies? Is that the only measure of success in your book?

Winning is not the only measure, but I guess that depends on your remit?  With Juventus, he'll have been expected to win the league... did he? If not, that's failure in the eyes of his employer. 

I believe that Ranieri has been sacked and taken jobs as a free agent, rather than being poached from a job? 

To label that stunning title triumph a ''fluke'' is doing the man and his man management skills a great disservice. I'll finish with a quote from a Leicester fan:-

''If Vardy got on the end of more crosses than he did photoshoots, his manager might still be in a job. ''

Its an amazing achievement, don't get me wrong, but the recognised title challengers all choked at various times.  Leicester grew in confidence through the season, they put together great runs of results, and yes, they deserved to be champions in the end, but it wont be repeated anytime soon - in that respect its a fluke.  The dictionary definition of fluke being "unlikely chance occurrence". 

Perhaps though, if you look at the BBC Gossip Column, there are reports that the players weren't happy with Ranieri's approach of late.  If that's true, it kind of quashes your point about his man-management skills?

I do agree with that quote from the Leicester fan incidently.  Although if a team is in form, putting in loads of crosses, you throw enough mud, **** will stick.  What was his chance conversion rate last season? 

''The dictionary definition of fluke being "unlikely chance occurrence". ''

You can fluke a goal or a game, but not a season, you admit as much yourself. ''yes, they deserved to be champions in the end..''

''Perhaps though, if you look at the BBC Gossip Column, there are reports that the players weren't happy with Ranieri's approach of late.  If that's true, it kind of quashes your point about his man-management skills?''

The Gossip Column - says it all, really. A few weeks back, Martin Keown said on MOTD that Leicester's demise started when they upped the salaries of their squad from around £30k a week to £100k+. Kante is a big miss alright, but the players who are still there should take a long, hard look in the mirror and be ashamed of the guy looking back.

''With Juventus, he'll have been expected to win the league... did he? If not, that's failure in the eyes of his employer. ''

Juve were forced to sell many of their star players when they were forcibly relegated in 2006. Ibrahimovic, Viera, Cannavaro and Zambrotta are four names that spring to mind. The only 'senators' who chose to stay were Buffon and Del Piero. They breezed to the Serie B title, despite a 9 pt handicap (shamefully reduced from 30 pts, before the season started) but it was madness to suggest that they could even contemplate winning Serie A in their first or even second season back, as they rebuilt. Most Juve fans felt Ranieri did rather well in the circumstances - as the subsequent appointment of Ferrara demonstrated.

Edit. What about Claudio's farewell statement? The man is pure class.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083953>

''Perhaps though, if you look at the BBC Gossip Column, there are reports that the players weren't happy with Ranieri's approach of late.  If that's true, it kind of quashes your point about his man-management skills?''

The Gossip Column - says it all, really.

Edit. What about Claudio's farewell statement? The man is pure class.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083953>

Gossip Column is a bit of a misnomer... its a news paper round up.  Although it seems that story is gaining traction.

I have read/watched his leaving statement yet.  Will try and listen at some point this weekend.  I quite liked listening to his interviews, although its easier to be amiable when youre winning.

I dont dislike the guy.  I dont particularly rate him, but I do agree with most that he has earned a lot more loyalty from Leicester.  Unfortunately we'll never know if he'd have turned things round.  Ive said before, perhaps he was too nice? 

''Gossip Column is a bit of a misnomer... its a news paper round up.  Although it seems that story is gaining traction.''

Not everything that appears in newspapers should be taken as gospel though. Maybe some of the players are feeding such crap to journos to deflect criticism from their own abject performances.

''I dont dislike the guy.  I dont particularly rate him, but I do agree with most that he has earned a lot more loyalty from Leicester.  Unfortunately we'll never know if he'd have turned things round.  Ive said before, perhaps he was too nice? ''

You don't rate a manager who took a club rated at 5,000 to 1 to win the EPL ?  Fair enough. And how come being ''too nice'' was no handicap last season? Or do you think Ranieri's a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde character and he frightened his squad all the way to the title? :-)

@GG Riva, Ive already said that the recognised contenders all choked at various stages of the season... Chelsea didnt get out of the starting blocks, Spurs bottle cracked with a few games to go, City were brutally inconsistent, Arsenal were just Arsenal.  In not sure what words need changing to make that clearer?  Leicester did well to take advantage, and maintain that confidence, and winning streak they had built up.  But its still a one-off achievement for Rainieri.  

As for not believing all I read... I rarely do, I take alot with a pinch of salt.  Im very aware that publications have their own agendas that feed their target readers.  However, when the same story comes from both sides of that divide, I begin to wonder if perhaps there is maybe an element of truth and credibility.

I get it, youre Italian, hes Italian, you support and feel for your fellow countryman.  I think that maybe its tinted your glasses slightly? 

So Leicester won the EPL because of the failings of Chelsea, Spurs, City and Arsenal? Surely a big club like Man U, with a manager like van Gaal, who's been successful at every club he's managed, should have taken advantage rather than a comparatively small club like Leicester, with a perennial failure at the helm? And if we're going to lump Man U in with the other failed contenders, what about those nearly clubs with better resources than the Foxes? 

''I get it, youre Italian, hes Italian, you support and feel for your fellow countryman.  I think that maybe its tinted your glasses slightly? ''

I could easily feel insulted and be offended by that, but I'll just say you couldn't be more wrong, Vinnie. Cast your mind back a few years and see if you can remember my sentiments towards another Italian managing in the EPL. His name? Roberto Mancini. A fine player in his heyday, but a more arrogant tw@t, you're unlikely to meet, probably on a par with Mourinho at his worst.

So Leicester won the EPL because of the failings of Chelsea, Spurs, City and Arsenal? Surely a big club like Man U, with a manager like van Gaal, who's been successful at every club he's managed, should have taken advantage rather than a comparatively small club like Leicester, with a perennial failure at the helm? And if we're going to lump Man U in with the other failed contenders, what about those nearly clubs with better resources than the Foxes? 

I dont disagree with that point @GG Riva, however, on a season by season basis we see teams in the EPL who hit above their weight, while bigger teams struggle.  Its swings a d roundabouts for many of the mid-table group of clubs with thier own mini-league going on. Look at Everton last season, far bigger budget than Leicester but struggled under Martinez.  Southampton under Koeman last season over-achieved, while Newcastle got relegated.  Bournemouth under Howe, hit way above their weight, while they struggle this season with many of the same players.  Man United were, and remain, a club in transition at the moment, struggling to adapt to post-Fergie times.

And of course thats part of the rollercoaster of being a football club and a football fan.  

So when I say fluke, ok, thats maybe too strong, they had an incredible lucky strike, results fell in their favour as bigger teams slipped up.  And I dont begrudge Leicester their title, I think it was a fantastic effort, and while it was a fantastic achievement that was deserved, I still maintain that Leicester winning the league was as much down to the failings of others.  Leicester showed the strongest resolve.  And maybe thats because there was no weight of expectation too?

Cast your mind back a few years and see if you can remember my sentiments towards another Italian managing in the EPL. His name? Roberto Mancini. A fine player in his heyday, but a more arrogant tw@t, you're unlikely to meet, probably on a par with Mourinho at his worst.

I dont Im afraid.  But that said, I tend to remember your more positive posts.  Or your analytical posts, rather you slating anybody.

I should add, I didnt try to cause any offence, and I sincerely hope none was taken.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Ranieri,Vinnie. I think he's far better than folk in this country give him credit for. The Tinker man label from his time at Chelsea has much to answer for.

Rest assured, I was neither insulted nor offended by your earlier post - I was merely pointing out that it was a tad provocative and way off target. I'mean pleased to be best remembered for my positive posts, but we can all allow things to get under our skin, now and again. Mourinho and Mancini are two guys who rip my knitting. I believe humility is a wonderful quality in any human being and neither is blest with any.

Archived