McIntyre sacked

ExxyJj

Knowing that players may not want to commit to a long term move up North, they have property in the town that is used by the club. Obviously this involves an outlay, and is a necessity in attracting players.

I'd have thought this was fairly common.  I cant imagine Kilmarnock or Motherwell, or even Dundee and Perth, are particularly attractive destinations?  And these days, few sign for a club for the long-haul.  

as you point out, few are signed up for the long-haul, therefore why would you go through moving house, kids schools, wife's job etc when you can stay put and jump between 90% of clubs. 

You can live almost anywhere in the central belt and be in Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee or Perth in between an hour and 90 minutes though - it's not that tough a commute, especially if your training session doesn't start till 10 or whatever and you're not schlepping through peak time traffic.

Why would you want to travel 90 minutes each way? Think of the fuel costs... that must be almost half your weekly wage? 

Yes you could car share, but how often are guys likely to be from the same neck of the woods? 

You can live almost anywhere in the central belt and be in Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee or Perth in between an hour and 90 minutes though - it's not that tough a commute, especially if your training session doesn't start till 10 or whatever and you're not schlepping through peak time traffic.

Why would you want to travel 90 minutes each way? Think of the fuel costs... that must be almost half your weekly wage? 

Yes you could car share, but how often are guys likely to be from the same neck of the woods? 

You might have a partner with a long term job in say Fife, with kids who are settled in a local school and other family and friends. A job in Kilmarnock or Dundee or Ayr or wherever isn't too hard to put up with, especially if it's only for a year or two. We've had plenty of players play for us who lived through in Glasgow or even further afield. My mate lives in Dunfermline but works in East Kilbride. It's not that tough, especially when you think there are people who are cooped up in trains like sardines for an hour or two each day heading into London each day for wages a lot less than even an average footballer earns. 

You might have a partner with a long term job in say Fife, with kids who are settled in a local school and other family and friends. A job in Kilmarnock or Dundee or Ayr or wherever isn't too hard to put up with, especially if it's only for a year or two. We've had plenty of players play for us who lived through in Glasgow or even further afield. My mate lives in Dunfermline but works in East Kilbride. It's not that tough, especially when you think there are people who are cooped up in trains like sardines for an hour or two each day heading into London each day for wages a lot less than even an average footballer earns. 

To be fair, wages in Scottish football are crap compared to England and are likely to be similar to those earned by many working in London City. 

Darek young lived in Aberdeen when playing for queens

That may be the case, but I can imagine he was paid very well by Aberdeen compared to modern day players and is reasonably well set up financially.  

Going back to the original point about County's budget, in terms of full time football, the majority of the clubs are within a commutable distance in the Central Belt. County's location puts them at a disadvantage and a higher budget may be eaten up  by the fact that they need to spend a bit more than the central belt clubs to attract players.

He was (allegedly) paid even better by us when he left Aberdeen for Fife.

I was thinking about that era this morning in relation to County. At least County got some silverware in return for the profligate spending. I wonder how reckless they are actually being just now when compared to the two Jimmies era?

At least Macgregor has his own cash as opposed to Masterton, whose own profession was founded on other peoples.

To be fair, wages in Scottish football are crap compared to England and are likely to be similar to those earned by many working in London City. 

Darek young lived in Aberdeen when playing for queens

That may be the case, but I can imagine he was paid very well by Aberdeen compared to modern day players and is reasonably well set up financially.  

I was just talking about regular office workers, cleaners and the like - many of whom used to fire into the 5.48 from Southampton to Waterloo each morning rather than footballers. 

Archived