Are We Over-Sensitive?

Vinnie

How do you know that it wasn't done deliberately? Probably not in a racist way, but more likely in a publicity seeking way. Do you believe that in the US (I mistakenly thought that it was in the UK), a photo like the one in the advert could have passed through many hands on the way to publication without at least one person pointing out the stupidity of it.

I am not offended by it. The black people that I have asked about are not offended, but then again, we are not of a community who were segregated against, and even lynched within living memory. It was against this backdrop of low level racism, like referring to black people as monkies, that segregation could thrive.

I cannot speak for the  entire US black community, most of whom probably don't care either to be fair - bear in mind this story has been processed in Twitter then run through the Daily Mail exaggeration mill.

Good post, although I do tend to see it as most likely a mistake above all, or secondly as a publicity thing as you suggest. 

Itake the point about many people seeing it, but it's worth bearing in mind that here will be literally hundreds (thousands?) of images for H&M's clothing lines, so it wouldn't surprise me if the images didn't get particularly intense individual scrutiny. 

Someone should still have caught it, and removed that pic, but tbh I don't think it's at all unlikely that it just slipped through by mistake.

How do you know that it wasn't done deliberately? Probably not in a racist way, but more likely in a publicity seeking way. Do you believe that in the US (I mistakenly thought that it was in the UK), a photo like the one in the advert could have passed through many hands on the way to publication without at least one person pointing out the stupidity of it.

I am not offended by it. The black people that I have asked about are not offended, but then again, we are not of a community who were segregated against, and even lynched within living memory. It was against this backdrop of low level racism, like referring to black people as monkies, that segregation could thrive.

I cannot speak for the  entire US black community, most of whom probably don't care either to be fair - bear in mind this story has been processed in Twitter then run through the Daily Mail exaggeration mill.

but it's worth bearing in mind that here will be literally hundreds (thousands?) of images for H&M's clothing lines, so it wouldn't surprise me if the images didn't get particularly intense individual scrutiny. 

Yep... this too

Aye, the world has gone bonkers. Social media is fuelling the PC brigade and giving them platforms to spout their ****e. People find anything to be offended by and will look for anything to get some attention and build a following. 

Social media is enabling the bigots of the world IMO, easing the spread of lies and hate, far more than some imagined "PC brigade".

I'm not saying there aren't instances of people taking PC too far, but in general it's mostly about challenging hate speech and calling people out for acting like d***s - naturally those spouting that ****e don't like being called out, but that's their problem.

On a side note, the biggest thing that pulls my ****er at the moment is the increase in the gender neutral cause. What a load of bollocks. You’re either, straight or gay and male or female. Nothing else. Now **** off.

Why do you feel more qualified than the people themselves to make that call. Who are you to say? And more to the point, why do you even care? Is it seriously impacting on you?

Its attention seeking.

Aye, the world has gone bonkers. Social media is fuelling the PC brigade and giving them platforms to spout their ****e. People find anything to be offended by and will look for anything to get some attention and build a following. 

Social media is enabling the bigots of the world IMO, easing the spread of lies and hate, far more than some imagined "PC brigade".

I'm not saying there aren't instances of people taking PC too far, but in general it's mostly about challenging hate speech and calling people out for acting like d***s - naturally those spouting that ****e don't like being called out, but that's their problem.

On a side note, the biggest thing that pulls my ****er at the moment is the increase in the gender neutral cause. What a load of bollocks. You’re either, straight or gay and male or female. Nothing else. Now **** off.

Why do you feel more qualified than the people themselves to make that call. Who are you to say? And more to the point, why do you even care? Is it seriously impacting on you?

Its attention seeking.

I'll repeat all my questions:

I’m qualified to spot weirdos when I see them and I’m afraid anyone bringing their children up as gender neutral are absolute weirdos. “We will bring them up not as a boy or a girl and they can decide what they are as they grow up.” 

If you are born with a penis, you are a boy. If you have a vagina, you’re a girl. It’s simple really. 

I’m qualified to spot weirdos when I see them and I’m afraid anyone bringing their children up as gender neutral are absolute weirdos. “We will bring them up not as a boy or a girl and they can decide what they are as they grow up.” 

If you are born with a penis, you are a boy. If you have a vagina, you’re a girl. It’s simple really. 

Why be so bothered about people that you have never met and something that has no consequence to your daily life?

For what it is worth I don't disagree entirely your last sentence.

Archived