Club vs Country

Paradox

An excellent article by Jim Spence in this weekend's Courier, on whether fans follow their Club or national side more closely, which has caused much debate.

For me, as much as I like to see Scotland do well, it has always been about the Pars for me.

Which team gets your fullest backing though?

Would you trade the Pars winning the title this season for Scotland qualifying for the Euros for example?

No, used to go to a lot of Scotland games and will always watch them but it's been so long since we qualified for anything, it doesn't matter as much as it used to. 

The Pars are my bread and butter as a supporter, so they get my first backing.

I treat Scotland like some part time Pars supporters see their own team, only turn up when they're doing well.

My bank of emotions would be bankrupt in no time if I were following both. No half measures I'm afraid.

Another aspect of supporting Scotland is that you aren't allowed to be a Scotland supporter, you're in the Tartan Army.

It's like the support have been hijacked over the years by a mad bunch of movie extras from Brigadoon.

Like them both to win tbh.  Don't see a reason to choose one or the other.

I spend more time going to pars games so it's a decent hobby. Scotland though does give me the opportunity to see world class players against a team  I support and visit  some great stadiums.

There are some folk in both supports i find odd. Watch an audience with billy connolly he talks about a strange section of scottish people out there.

I started going back to Scotland game 4 or 5 years ago after missing a few years due to finances and have loved every trip i have been on. Its great going to different stadiums and citys to watch football. Even Hampden for most Scotland games can be good when its full. Only real downside of following Scotland is the SFA ripping fans off at every opportunity.

I still get to the Pars games home and away aswell so im quite lucky that i dont have to choose watching Scotland or the Pars. tbh just now it would be hard to choose which i prefer.

I'm a bit like Shoo in that I never used to miss a Scotland home game and also had a great time tramping around France in 1998.

Today, if I miss a Pars game then I'm devastated...if I miss a Scotland game I'm neither up nor down. For example on Monday, I watched a programme about Lewis and Harris over the match...changed days indeed but it just doesn't excite me.

PS - I also kind of cringe with all the TA stuff too but each to their own.

There is an element of the "tartan army" I dislike tbh. I actually hate the term "Tartan army" as it devides fans into different categories between "tartan army" and Scotland supporters. Heard the term " I'm a scotland supporter and in the tartan army" which is sort of like saying i'm a better fan than you.

When I went down to the Brazil game at the Emirates a few years ago we were in the boozer before the game just outside the ground and some lad asked me what my clan history was. All kinds of cringe tbh, I'm just there to support the team and have a good time on the way with my pals/family. Most folk there are the same, I also laugh at the folk who get all upset when folk start chatting about their club teams. Guess what  some of us attend football every week and have teams who we support rather than treating football as a 3 or 4 time a year **** up and we like to chat about football while away at a football game with someone who also likes to talk about football.

I do wear kilts to away games when I go, but thats because I like wearing a kilt. If it was socially acceptable I would wear it more often and it's handy to wear that for a week rather than bring any jeans. Pretty much sleep in the kilt at times tae did the same in Gothenburg when the Pars went there

Archived