Wayne Rooney

Vinnie

So Wayne Rooney has now surpassed Sir Bobby Charlton as England's record goalscorer.   50 international goals in no mean feat in itself, although I daresay that with the amount of "lesser" countries in Qualifying Groups, it was an easier figure to reach than in Charlton's day?

Does seem that the English don't rate Rooney despite his achievement?  Cant understand why?   

The main reason he isn't that highly rated down here is his failure to really cut it at the major tournaments. The only one he's made any real impression at was Euro 2004 when he was 18. Since then he's never threatened to set a World Cup alight as you'd expect a genuinely world-class player to do given three attempts.

One solitary goal at a World Cup finals in 11 games puts him on a par with Peter Crouch, Darren Anderton, Emile Heskey and Matthew Upson among others.  Not that he's alone in recent England teams in failing at World Cups but you'd expect to see more from such a highly-regarded (by the media at least) player. 

doesn't really help when at his peak they pick him to play left wing at a world cup. Think he was injured just prior to south Africa too which affected him

I think his record at international level, champions league and premiership speaks for itself playing at a high level consistantly for over a decade already and still time to burn. It's also a credit to him that he has amouted these goals for England while playing a supporting striker as a day job for his club.

I rate him highly, not in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo but maybe the next tier of best players in the world.

I read a quote somewhere that said its testament that he is intermittently linked with Europes biggest clubs.  Of course, it may be that that's an agent putting stories about to get a bigger, newer contract for him.  Of course, United also seem desperate to hold onto him. 

Another point from Hoddle in the TV coverage the other day, is he's a great team player, and can easily move from main focal point of attack to the "No. 10" role.  The fact its so effortless just points to oozing class.

I think the fact that he has played at the top level for so long is a testament to his ability.  It is nigh-on impossible to pick a 'best ever' though as players like Charlton and Rooney have played in totally different eras.  Rooney is a good all-round attacking player, so the fact that he has scored so many goals for club and country despite not being an out-and-out 'number 9' surely demonstrates his qualities?

There is an excellent (albeit somewhat out of date) article on-line here which seems to suggest that Wayne Rooney might not even be the best goalscorer of this generation, never mind all-time.  Although he has scored many goals in qualifiers, he, along with the England team overall have struggled in major tournaments.

Bobby Charlton ultimately contributed towards his team becoming World Champions.

I think he (Rooney) is deserving of the 'world-class' label, but is certainly someway below Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo IMO.

Prior to South Africa, he was probably in the top 3 strikers in the World that season, he was playing as a lone striker for United in a 4-5-1 and was scoring bagloads in the CL and EPL. Then he got a foot injury (I think), then the alegations of another hooker while his Mrs was pregnant came out in the papers (before the World Cup) and he wasn't the same player as he was a few months before.

Why do the English media always look for scandal to damage players before big tournaments?

Archived