Is there anyone out there?

GG Riva

I don't know if this topic has ever been debated on here , but ever since humans have been able to stand upright, they've been looking up at the night sky and wondering if there are any other intelligent beings out there.

Is it possible that, with all the countless zillions of stars in the universe, there are none which have planets on which sustainable, intelligent life can have evolved? Of course, the distances are such that, if there are, neither they nor we, can ever visit one another, but we may be able to pick up information which would confirm their existence. If intelligent aliens do exist, they'll almost certainly know about us, with radio and TV signals radiating out from our planet to every corner of our galaxy and beyond.

Guest The Beer Baron

Due to the sheer distances involved, if we ever find signs of life, they'll probably be extinct at the time we're receiving them.

It would be hugely naïve to think that with all the stars out there, and all of their possible planets, that we are the only planet with life forms. 
I don't necessarily buy into the theory that planets must be in a "habitable zone" around its sun.  Even on earth, animals and humans have evolved to survive their environments.  Its equally naïve to think that should life exist on other planets, that planets must have oxygen and water to support such creatures - there could be a form of life on Venus, or even Mercury, that have evolved and adapted to their environment - we just haven't reached the surface of these planets to have found them.

3 hours ago, The Beer Baron said:

Due to the sheer distances involved, if we ever find signs of life, they'll probably be extinct at the time we're receiving them.

Not necessarily, BB. e.g. we could receive information from a planet which is say, 100 light years away and simultaneously they would  get signals from Earth and see the horrific carnage that was WW1. 

Not the most impressive image of civilised, intelligent life...........

I think it is almost certain that there is intelligent life out there. As far as I know it is only last century that we started sending signals out there, so not sure when a reply would be due. I find that it starts getting complicated thinking about it too much so I just stick to the odd science fiction book and film.

38 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

I think it is almost certain that there is intelligent life out there. As far as I know it is only last century that we started sending signals out there, so not sure when a reply would be due.

I'm sure there is some mad formula that can give you an answer.  Although equally if we do get a reply, who is to say that it will be intelligible?  Maybe we have received signals but don't know weve received them?  What happens if we receive a signal tomorrow, how do we know how far its come? 

The bottom line as I see it is we don't yet have the technology and expert opinion is best guesses based on how we communicate,  as if all other possible species will speak in earthly languages or earthly codes.

2 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I think it is almost certain that there is intelligent life out there. As far as I know it is only last century that we started sending signals out there, so not sure when a reply would be due. I find that it starts getting complicated thinking about it too much so I just stick to the odd science fiction book and film.

I'd agree that it's almost certain that there is or was other life out there, based on the universe being effectively infinite.

Unfortunately that also means that I think it's almost certain we'll never know for sure or ever make contact.

The last science fiction film that I watched was "Morons from Outer Space"  on You Tube. It was pretty bad, but I was curious. It was the mention of Falkirk that reminded me of this I think.

I suppose it is possible that there are other planets out there somewhere filled with total cretins, although it would be a bit depressing if Mankind turns out to be the best there is.

Guest The Beer Baron
4 minutes ago, Piracy said:

You were right.

*WOOSH*

Now you know how it feels to be our midfield in the Davie Hay season!

Archived