What represents success this season now?

Paradox

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, i guess i would review this question now.

Given everything that has happened, if we manage to pull off a 4th place finish, can that be classed as a successful season?  IMO, the answer is yes.

Although it doesn't represent improvement on last season, the wholesale changes of playing personnel, tactics, formations and then management, has been a big challenge this year.

I feel that the togetherness between the fans and players is returning - amazing the difference a few wins can make.

Success, would be finishing 4th and another shot at a Play Off. Relegation is done n dusted now. There is no way we will go down being 11 points clear. We will win a few more games before the end of the season. Partick , Falkirk and Alloa will need to win half a dozen.

21 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

Success, would be finishing 4th and another shot at a Play Off. Relegation is done n dusted now. There is no way we will go down being 11 points clear. We will win a few more games before the end of the season. Partick , Falkirk and Alloa will need to win half a dozen.

I don't know if AJ would have taken us down TBH, but I'm sure he wasn't taking us forward.  By the end, he didn't look like he believed in himself, so you can't expect the players to in fairness.  The situation was becoming destabilising to the whole club.

Whilst I would agree that a top 4 finish, and another shot at United in the play-offs would be great, I would be reluctant to be dismissive of relegation just yet.  If we stay clear of injuries and suspensions, we can play a settled team, and hopefully the performances can pick up to give the fans some entertaining football to watch between now and the end of the season.

I do however, think that we can go back to focusing on our own games, rather than worrying about what teams around us and below us are doing.

11 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I don't know if AJ would have taken us down TBH, but I'm sure he wasn't taking us forward.  By the end, he didn't look like he believed in himself, so you can't expect the players to in fairness.  The situation was becoming destabilising to the whole club.

Whilst I would agree that a top 4 finish, and another shot at United in the play-offs would be great, I would be reluctant to be dismissive of relegation just yet.  If we stay clear of injuries and suspensions, we can play a settled team, and hopefully the performances can pick up to give the fans some entertaining football to watch between now and the end of the season.

I do however, think that we can go back to focusing on our own games, rather than worrying about what teams around us and below us are doing.

We have 9 games to go . Dundee Utd, Ayr , Falkirk and Morton at home. Cannae see us losing the majority of them. 2 more wins , then the teams below have to go on 5 ,6 unbeaten winning runs. Not going to happen.

On recent form, I could see us winning all 4 of those home games.  On form over the whole season, we could just as easily lose all 4.

All though its one of the most popular footballing cliches, it's important to take one game at a time just now.

If we continue to take care of our own business, it doesn't matter what the teams around us are doing.

Guest The Beer Baron

With us sitting 4th now and in great form, I think it'd be disappointing if we didn't now make the play offs, albeit I think it'll be Ayr we need to catch as I think Inverness will hit great form from now until the end.

Its incredible how close this league can be.  Its also incredible that many had all but resigned us to relegation just three weeks ago, and have gone 180 degrees to hail us as play off hopefuls. 

As I said earlier in this thread, Craw's aim will likely have been to stop the rot and avoid relegation, he's done it.  The play offs would be a bonus.  

Craws next task is to plan for next season.  Although we have a few loan signings who will be away again soon which makes evaluating the squad we have that bit more difficult. 

21 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Its incredible how close this league can be.  Its also incredible that many had all but resigned us to relegation just three weeks ago, and have gone 180 degrees to hail us as play off hopefuls. 

As I said earlier in this thread, Craw's aim will likely have been to stop the rot and avoid relegation, he's done it.  The play offs would be a bonus.  

Craws next task is to plan for next season.  Although we have a few loan signings who will be away again soon which makes evaluating the squad we have that bit more difficult. 

The key has to be getting a decent goalscorer on a permanent deal.  All of our main strikers this season have been loan deals, so there is no continuity into next season.

I would love Andy Ryan to be the main man, but his performances haven't been consistent enough when he has played to make any real conclusion.

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

The key has to be getting a decent goalscorer on a permanent deal.  All of our main strikers this season have been loan deals, so there is no continuity into next season.

Definitely.  I doubt Anderson would be prepared to drop wages and move down a level, Fais hasnt found anywhere close to the form that earned him his Dundee move.  

I think that Craw seems to have an idea of the style of play he'd like us to play, and perhaps thats a start in the process of finding guys to sign, guys who fit that style and work well in the system?  

I think I said in another thread that signing guys on short term contracts is counter productive, I dont think weve had a settled squad for a number of years now, and that means always reinventing ourselves and taking time to gel.  Get a settled squad, hit the ground running. 

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

I would love Andy Ryan to be the main man, but his performances haven't been consistent enough when he has played to make any real conclusion.

Think that is a bit harsh as he has never really been given a run of games by the previous management team, how can he play to a consistent level is if is only getting 5 minutes and then maybe 1 start then straight back to being a sub and not getting on for a few weeks and the cycle repeats itself.

Guest The Beer Baron

I still think he could become a great player for us. Seems to have that poachers instinct and aye, strikers will occasionally have a horrendous miss but they'll also score some crackers.

Strikers are often confidence players.  Give him a run in the team, once he grabs a couple of goals, he'll be up and running.  A few minutes here and there wont help his confidence, and Craw will know that.  In Ryan's case, does he fit, or can he fit Craw's vision.

Archived