Looking back...

Paradox

17 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

As a set of supporters, this season has got to be a reality check.  We are not the massive club many still seem to think we are.

As I see it, we have a Board of Pars fans who happen to be business folk too.  They have seen the cluster**** of Mastertons era, where we overspent in search of near impossible dreams.  I appreciate fan frustrations, but Im thankful of the Boards sensible approach to finance, and ensuring we have a club to continue supporting.

We are going to struggle to overhaul the whole squad.  We dont have the finances to pay off the dross.  Whoever is manager will have some dead wood to deal with.  

And whoever is manager, I imagine the fans expectations are for immediate results.  I can see fans turning on the manager quickly if the results dont meet their exaggerated standards.  Chopping and changing manager every six months does not settle a squad to perform and achieve - every manager will have different ideas, and each manager will want players to suit that style, building a squad will take a few seasons again.

An experienced manager doesnt guarantee success.  We are in the toughest, most competitive division with a number of club who might consider themselves Premiership teams. 

Patience is needed, although thats in short supply with football fans.

You would go down a storm on .net ha ha

21 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

My problem is “the Masterton era” keeps getting mentioned.

We are well passed this although money is tight but we have to stop say “the Masterton era” were 5 years on and the board have made a mess with their decisions this season. 

Not really.  Do you want to forget those mistakes and repeat them? And jeopardise the club again?  

The "Masterton Era" comment and the club finances are a seperate issue from deciding on a new management team.  Ok, the board may have made some dubious decisions this season.  Its the first time the board has had face such a situation.  They will learn from it. 

Its been a terrible season, unfortunately there will be bad years. Granted we should be doing better but the board will get things wrong. People make mistakes but we shouldn't forget the pain to get here. I think we have more positives with our board than negatives.

Personally i would say the 2nd season in league 1 was worse, unable to get a play-off place in a p/t league after getting rid of Jefferies when we still near the top 4pts? Going out the scottish cup before christmas too

With Johnston part of the problem i thought was they needed to give the manager a longer contract to keep him and possibly to encourage players to sign up longer.  

I wasn't sure about Stevie but there are going to be some hard decisions in the summer. The signings he has made have made an improvement and i think he should get a fair crack of the whip with his squad. 

Guest The Beer Baron

I'm torn. I don't think Craw has shown enough to get the job longer. At the same time, he's had to work with a bunch of upper League One players at best.

We missed out on Neilson. Hopkin is available and has won promotion from this league previous. If it goes tits up next season and we're in trouble, who do we turn to if he's not available?

10 hours ago, Al k said:

i thought was they needed to give the manager a longer contract to keep him and possibly to encourage players to sign up longer.  

I think we are stuck on some kind of vicious roundabout.  With our finances, we cant offer too many longer term contracts, therefore we cant attract the players we really want, so we have to compromise our signing policy, which means compromising a little (some will say a lot) on the quality of players at the managers disposal, which means inconsistent results.  It also means that the manager cant really build a team, its a bit patchwork, its square pegs for round holes at times.  

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I think we are stuck on some kind of vicious roundabout.  With our finances, we cant offer too many longer term contracts, therefore we cant attract the players we really want, so we have to compromise our signing policy, which means compromising a little (some will say a lot) on the quality of players at the managers disposal, which means inconsistent results.  It also means that the manager cant really build a team, its a bit patchwork, its square pegs for round holes at times.  

I think that's the issue. It will be a big job recruiting players for this season and I have always thought that a 1yr contract sometimes works against us. However the counterbalance is that when to see some of the utter haddies who have pulled on a shirt this season why would want to give them any more?

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

On the issue of contracts being longer, it was brought up at previous supporters council meetings and its normally the players who dont want to signed 2 year+ deals and most prefer a 1 year contract

1 minute ago, the saline hill puma said:

its normally the players who dont want to signed 2 year+ deals and most prefer a 1 year contract

Really?  There is little enough security in football these days.  

Could the argument be that players realise the competitiveness of the Championship, and gamble on one good season to be picked by Premiership club if they arent promoted? 

Or is it that clubs can barely afford transfer fees in Scotland, so look to pay signing on fees along with one year deals? - is that where players make their money? 

By the way, slightly off topic, but is anybody singing Mike and the Mechanics in their head when they read this thread title? 

"Looking back over my shoulder
I can see that look in your eye
I never dreamed it could be over
I never wanted to say goodbye
Looking back over my shoulder............................................................"

blah blah blah blah

Your good deed can be to listen to "3 sides live" by Genesis, ergo enjoying the experience of the highly talented Mike Rutherford when he was a proper musician, and before his horrific descent into corporate pop music ******y like the fkn rest of them...

A disappointment to me... all of them...except Chester Thompson who is the only one left who should be allowed to look at himself in the mirror...

I hope I've made my opinion clear...

Pop music slags, man...

4 hours ago, average white par said:

Your good deed can be to listen to "3 sides live" by Genesis, ergo enjoying the experience of the highly talented Mike Rutherford when he was a proper musician, and before his horrific descent into corporate pop music ******y like the fkn rest of them...

A disappointment to me... all of them...except Chester Thompson who is the only one left who should be allowed to look at himself in the mirror...

I hope I've made my opinion clear...

Pop music slags, man...

Think of the money 💷 😂 

Archived