Abertay Uni

Digs

Digs Jnr no 2 has got a place at Abertay Uni and he is considering his options in terms of travel etc as he’s not looking at moving out just yet.

Has anyone here travelled? If so, is it easy, what’s the best mode of transport, bus, train, car?

Opinions appreciated from those that have done it. 

First of all we'll done. 

My lassie was at Abertay Digs. She went straight into the Halls. Better if they do that. However not for everyone. 

Train takes an hour from Inverkeithing. Regular bus half the price but around an hour and a half in travel time however you can get the Megabus from park n ride. Megabus takes an hour. 

Lessons and a car eventually bud. Either way get your wallet out. 

Cheers mate, he drives already but mileage on the car will hammer his insurance as it’s mileage based, so don’t think that’s an option every day. Eventually though it might be fine.

He’s just a bit of a homebody to be fair, so he might go eventually, it’s just for the short term to be fair. 

I would also say halls, but it's worth noting that it can also be a pretty lonely place depending on how introverted/extroverted you are. I was pretty lonely there (not Abertay, but I imagine the experience is at least similar) for a while, until I started getting involved in a few things and making friends. Was good after that though.

Good thing is it's only an hour up the road if anything goes wrong. 

They're in a safe environment within the Halls. I worried more the second year when my lassie moved into a flat with some pals. She was fine. They grow up away from home very quickly. Does their self confidence a world of good. 

Cheers for the replies folks. He's not going to go into Halls, he's not ready to move out just yet. That's from him by the way, not me. Looks like he's got the delights of the Megabus to look forward to...😳

Guest The Beer Baron

I'd urge him to reconsider.

It's only a couple of months at a time and a great way to introduce living away from home before a full time move.

He'll enjoy uni much more even if an introvert because normally (in Aberdeen at least) they match people up pretty well. It's better going to classes with friends than alone and halls are absolutely the best way of finding them.

Anyway, all the best to him I'm sure he'll make the right decision for himself no matter what

For me, moving away opened up a proximity to the central belt and Edinburgh. A lot of my mates had already moved also anyway.

I can understand it could be different in Dunfermline as it is well placed and is a bigger town than where I came from. It could be he has already got a decent social life going anyway. Commuting for the first year doesn't preclude moving to Dundee later. No need to miss out on nights out either if the opportunity arises. There will always be a floor to sleep on.

The practical transport tips seem to have been covered as far as I can tell.

I can only give commuting tips a an auld(er) git who as a long commute to. It is simply this. It is not lost time if you use it to read, do coursework or simply  stuff you enjoy anyway. The only thing I would advise against is posting on Internet forums early in the morning on the bus or train when you are feeling grumpy. No good ever comes from that.

Best of luck to him.

11 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I can understand it could be different in Dunfermline as it is well placed and is a bigger town than where I came from. It could be he has already got a decent social life going anyway. Commuting for the first year doesn't preclude moving to Dundee later. No need to miss out on nights out either if the opportunity arises. There will always be a floor to sleep on.

I can only give commuting tips a an auld(er) git who as a long commute to. It is simply this. It is not lost time if you use it to read, do coursework or simply  stuff you enjoy anyway. 

It's not about being introverted or anything like that, it's lots of other stuff. Financial for one, he's also just starting to get somewhere with his coaching down here, starting to earn money from it after months of volunteering and he needs the flexibility of being able to jump in at short notice. 

He also still plays and trains three times a week down here, so missing some of the social side isn't a huge thing for him at the moment, the other things take priority for him. He's focussed on the end goal, that's just the way he is, and all of those things back up the course he is doing and, as he sees it, might give him an edge come the end of his degree as he will already have years of experience as well as his degree.

I also made the point about making use of the time too, whether it be train or bus, it's effectively two 'free' hours a day where he won't have  any distractions.

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Bus is probably cheaper.  I think there is a weekly pass that allows students unlimited travel over a wider area? 

Not heard of that but I'll look into it. He can use his Young Scot card for discount which is about half price. I'll see if theres anything over and above that. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Digs said:

Not heard of that but I'll look into it. He can use his Young Scot card for discount which is about half price. I'll see if theres anything over and above that. Thanks.

My lad is starting college in Kirkcaldy from September and he's investigated travel from Dunfermline.  To be fair, I may only be gettingg half the story here, and I may have picked it up slightly wrong, or, more likely, hes only told me half of the information he listened to and remembers... 

Im told its £23 a week for a "Student Pass" for unlimited travel on selected routes - I dont know if that also requires a Student Card or Young Scot Card.  My lad mentioned Edinburgh and Livingston are included, so I dont know about Dundee.  

Archived