Woodmill HS Fire

I got this from Woodmill last  night.  Sharing it as I dont live with my kids mum, and I can imagine that others in my situation might be left out of the loop. 

Dear Parent/Carers,

We have identified solutions that will allow S5 and S6 pupils to return to their learning from
this coming Monday, 2 September. We know our pupils are anxious to pick up their
certificated courses and we’re inviting parents and pupils to sessions tomorrow evening,
Thursday 30 th August, to talk about how arrangements will work.
We have identified a possible opportunity to accommodate our DAS pupils in a single facility
from Monday 9 September. We need to discuss these proposals with a number of groups
before we can talk about more detail publicly, but we’ll be speaking to our DAS families
directly and hope to meet many of them on Friday.
Officers from across the council are still securing accommodation and transport for our 1,000
S1-S4 students – this is a large and complex task. We’re working on solutions that would
keep whole year groups together and bring them all back into a school as soon as possible,
which might be on a phased basis over the next week.
To do that, we will have to use space within other secondary schools and community
facilities in Fife, and there are still a lot of practical issues to work through. We will
communicate with all the school communities that are likely to be affected as plans develop.
I’ll set up information sessions for Woodmill parents and pupils in each year group as soon as
we finalise workable arrangements for them. And I’ll be keeping in regular contact with the
whole school community.
Wherever our pupils and staff are hosted in the short-term, I’m keen to stress that we will still
be maintaining our identity as Woodmill High, which will include wearing our uniforms.
We’re all sad to have lost our school building, but the building itself doesn’t make a school -
We are Woodmill!
Lastly, I’d like to reiterate my thanks to everyone in the community for their support and,
particularly, to thank our parents, pupils and staff for their patience during this difficult
period.
S5 and S6 information sessions will be held at Dunfermline High School on Thursday
evening:
 S5 at 17:00-17:45, Assembly Hall Dunfermline High School
 S6 at 18:00-18:45, Assembly Hall Dunfermline High School
An Information session for all of our DAS parents will be held at Duloch Primary School on
Friday afternoon:
 DAS at 12.30, Duloch Primary School
Due to limited capacity in the hall at the Dunfermline High School event, please limit
attendance to one parent per pupil. Parking will also be an issue, so if it’s possible to
walk or car share, please do.

I think its only right and fair that S5 and S6 are relocated first, hopefully quickly followed by S4.  These kids dont really have the time to lose as they work towards exams and final coursework pieces. 

I get the impression it'll be a week or two before S1 and S2 are back though. 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I got this from Woodmill last  night.  Sharing it as I dont live with my kids mum, and I can imagine that others in my situation might be left out of the loop. 

I think its only right and fair that S5 and S6 are relocated first, hopefully quickly followed by S4.  These kids dont really have the time to lose as they work towards exams and final coursework pieces. 

I get the impression it'll be a week or two before S1 and S2 are back though. 

Well done for sharing Vinnie. 

I also agree on the order they should be going back. As somone who has had two kids go fully through the exam process, I know the work they  have to put in and the pressure they are under and these kids will absolutely be worried about this. This is the thing, his mum made a comment on facebook criticising the stick he was getting saying 'No-one died', but this is these kids futures we're talking about here. The SQA won't take this into account when marking their exams, so they are effectively disadvantaged against everyone else competing for university, college and  apprenticeship spots that rely on the grades you achieve. It shouldn't be understated how important this is.

17 minutes ago, Digs said:

The SQA won't take this into account when marking their exams, so they are effectively disadvantaged against everyone else competing for university, college and  apprenticeship spots that rely on the grades you achieve. It shouldn't be understated how important this is.

Work may well be sent via the app that they use for homework, but thats no good if you hit a point where you really need help and support of the teaching staff.  I agree, this really shouldnt be understated.  It may take that bit longer for S1 and S2 to get back to classes, but at least these kids have the time to catch up the work they are missing at the minute. 

I see there is a rumour circulating that schools in Dundee and Perth have spaces for the kids.  Thats a ball-ache of a trek, and Id suggest sending S1 and S2 up there if necessary.  Id suspect that the kids would be put on buses at 8.30, arrive at school at 9.15 (if not slightly later), but need to leave again around 2.30 to be home for 3.30-ish.  Thats potentially an hour or so of lost schooling per day, equal to almost a day a week, which S1 and S2 kids could, hopefully, catch up once Woodmill reopens. 

A secondary school near me - less than two years old - has closed temporarily due to structural damage. The bus I take in the morning is now an overcrowded nightmare, but the kids seem to have been accommodated ok in other schools. Hopefully, commute apart, the Woodmill pupils won’t face too much disruption to their education.

Bit ironic saying that given I would have been delighted if my secondary school burnt down when I was attending it.

I believe this may have been circulating on Facebook, however.... 

Dear Parents/Carers,

Things are still moving forward with arrangements for our school community.
We have met this evening at Dunfermline High School to communicate the solutions for the
short-term plans for our S5 and S6 pupils. Our S5 pupils will be working at Fife College,
Halbeath Campus and our S6 will commence at St Columba's RC High School.  The planning
now in place will allow our S5 and S6 to commence at 9.30 on Monday morning, 2 nd
September.

I appreciate it must be frustrating for other families but please bear with us. Logistical
arrangements are starting to line up and I hope we’ll be able to give you some more
information tomorrow about plans for S1-S4.  I believe we’ll be able to accommodate
individual year groups together, within facilities in West Fife, by the end of next week.
However, there are still some details to be confirmed, so we will be in touch with parents and
pupils as soon as we can.

In the meantime, work continues at the Woodmill building. There are parts of the building
that we won’t be able to salvaged and demolition contractors are taking control of the site
from tomorrow, Friday 30 th . The community should therefore be prepared for demolition
starting on the DAS wing imminently as we start to make the site safe. I would urge people to
stay away from the Woodmill site and I’d ask parents to ensure their young people are not
heading to this area. It is not a safe place to be. Security fences and security guards are in
place for a reason. If anyone sees people trespassing on the site, please call the Police on 101.
Lastly – but by no means least – I must thank all the local businesses, community groups and
individuals who have been so generous with fundraising efforts and financial contributions.
It’s all greatly appreciated and will be of great benefit to our pupils in due course.

21 hours ago, Digs said:

The SQA won't take this into account when marking their exams, so they are effectively disadvantaged against everyone else competing for university, college and  apprenticeship spots that rely on the grades you achieve. It shouldn't be understated how important this is.

Was talking about this this morning.  Heard a story about a lass that had been working on an Art piece for Highers prior to the summer, and as coursework it was kept "safely" at the school.  Hours and hours of work potentially down the drain as the lass doesnt know if the work survived.  She's distraught at the potential impact on her marks.  Even if it hasnt been burnt destroyed, there is potentially smoke and/or water damage.  I just hope that the school or the lass has kept picture records that they can potentially recreate the artwork, though I doubt SQA would accept photo evidence of the completed piece - though you would hope that SQA might recognise the unique circumstances? 

Woodmill Update: 

Dear Parents

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Interim arrangements for pupils

S1 pupils

We have managed to secure the whole of the Vine Conference Centre to accommodate our S1 pupils from Tuesday 3 September. This will be an excellent environment for them and I look forward to explaining how this will work. A meeting for S1 parents to discuss details will be held on Monday at Dunfermline High at 5pm. 

S2 pupils

Our S2 pupils will be moving to dedicated space within Queen Anne High School and will be able to start on Friday 6 September. A meeting for S2 parents to discuss details will be held on Tuesday at Dunfermline High at 5pm. 

S3 pupils

Our S3 pupils will be moving to dedicated space within Beath High School from Thursday 5 September. A meeting for S3 parents to discuss details will be held on Tuesday at Dunfermline High at 6pm. 

S4 pupils

The S4 pupils will be moving to dedicated space within Inverkeithing High School from Wednesday 4 September. A meeting for S4 parents to discuss details will be held on Monday at Dunfermline High at 6pm. 

S5 pupils

The S5 pupils are starting at Fife College on Monday as discussed with parents last night.

S6 pupils

The S6 pupils are starting at St Columba’s RC High School on Monday as discussed with parents last night.

Department of Additional Support (DAS)

DAS pupils will be moving to Blairhall Primary School on Monday 9 September, where they will have exclusive use of the building. They will have a programme of activities to support their transition next week.

Teams of Woodmill staff will be working with all of our young people in each location to continue their learning. Transport arrangements are being put in place and we’ll talk about the details of this and things like school lunches at our information sessions on Monday and Tuesday.

As critical as folk are of their local councils, Im very impressed with the way the council and schools and staff have made all of these arrangements so quickly.  Not ideal, obviously, but impressed they found a workable solution so quickly. 

Archived