Stoke to poach Steve Clarke

Vinnie

Stoke just sacked another manager.  Looks like they are in some sort of competition with Sunderland?  Anyway, the Sun reports that Steve Clarke is one of their top targets. (Note - I do not read the Sun, the BBC Gossip Column is reporting this)  

Personally, I wouldnt take the job, Stoke, like Sunderland, have ideas of their stature far above their level, but it is a route back into full time management.  If offered, would he go?  Id have to say that being involved with Scotland is probably really depressing. 

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Stoke just sacked another manager.  Looks like they are in some sort of competition with Sunderland?  Anyway, the Sun reports that Steve Clarke is one of their top targets. (Note - I do not read the Sun, the BBC Gossip Column is reporting this)  

Personally, I wouldnt take the job, Stoke, like Sunderland, have ideas of their stature far above their level, but it is a route back into full time management.  If offered, would he go?  Id have to say that being involved with Scotland is probably really depressing. 

I wonder why you needed to emphasise that you don't read the Sun, Vinnie? (Not that I ever thought you did.) 😃

As to your question, Clarke has been in the Scotland job long enough now to know whether he wants to continue. Only he will know if he's missing the daily involvement of club football, but he's at an age (56) where he might be quite happy to have a less demanding job, even if Scotland fans demand far better than they've seen recently. 

Stoke is probably not the kind of job that would have him rushing to the interview. Maybe if it was a more fashionable EPL club?

15 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Stoke is probably not the kind of job that would have him rushing to the interview. Maybe if it was a more fashionable EPL club?

Im not convinced Clarke is an EPL level manager though?  His record in England wasnt great.  

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Apparently Stoke are doubling his £750k salary.  

If I was him, I would take the money. Not sure if it'll affect his CV too much, if he's sacked and Stoke go down. Managing in the top English league is definitely a lucrative move. Who knows, he may do alright. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with Austin McCann now with him being his assistant at NI. I don't think McCann will get the Hearts job, despite the result and peformance at the weekend, so he could yet end up there too. I'd say that's probably a better step for him than  taking on the Hearts job in his own right anyway.

Archived