Serie A - Anti-Racism Row Again

Vinnie

Serie A employed an artist to design an AntiRacism slogan.  It features three monkey faces and has been widely criticised.

On the face of it, a bad concept. 

The artist has tried to explain its a white face monkey, Asian faced monkey, and African faced monkey, and that really, we are all the same descendants of monkeys.

I get the sentiment now that its been explained, the thing is, it shouldnt need explanation, the message should be very very clear.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Serie A employed an artist to design an AntiRacism slogan.  It features three monkey faces and has been widely criticised.

The artist has tried to explain its a white face monkey, Asian faced monkey, and African faced monkey, and that really, we are all the same descendants of monkeys.

I get the sentiment now that its been explained, the thing is, it shouldnt need explanation, the message should be very very clear.

Thoughts?

Quite an unhappy and misguided choice by the artist, given that black people are often likened to monkeys by racists, as evidenced by the monkey noises directed towards black footballers by these mindless morons. 

What's not clear from your post, Vinnie, is whether the Serie A officials who commissioned this work thought it was good to go with it. If they did, that's even more worrying than the artist who designed it. 

26 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Quite an unhappy and misguided choice by the artist, given that black people are often likened to monkeys by racists, as evidenced by the monkey noises directed towards black footballers by these mindless morons. 

What's not clear from your post, Vinnie, is whether the Serie A officials who commissioned this work thought it was good to go with it. If they did, that's even more worrying than the artist who designed it. 

Serie A (or the Italian FA) held a press conference to launch the Anti-Racism campaign with the artwork as the poster, so Id say that yes, they probably thought it was good to go with.  

I agree that it really isnt the best choice artwork given the connection between monkeys and racism.  I understand the sentiment, but an effective campaign poster shouldnt need to be explained to be understood.  

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Serie A (or the Italian FA) held a press conference to launch the Anti-Racism campaign with the artwork as the poster, so Id say that yes, they probably thought it was good to go with.  

I agree that it really isnt the best choice artwork given the connection between monkeys and racism.  I understand the sentiment, but an effective campaign poster shouldnt need to be explained to be understood.  

I can just about understand an artist, living in some sheltered world, thinking this was a clever idea, but for the Serie A officials  to run with it is absolutely staggering. 

10 minutes ago, lambo1885 said:

Roma and AC Milan have come out saying they weren't consulted in the posters and think they're wrong to have used Monkeys.

Lazio on the other hand were presumably delighted.

As a piece of artwork it would have done its job in provoking debate and challenging orthodoxy etc etc.

As a poster for an anti racist campaign it was shockingly misjudged. As Vinnie says, posters like this need to be unequivocal and easily understood.

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Thoughts?

Thought 1: People need to stop mixing up apes and monkeys. They're not the same thing.

Thought 2: The artist's explanation of the poster is an interesting one, and he's said that it's an intentional and direct challenge to the monkey label applied to so many black players. It's not like he's unaware of the context

Thought 3: What the absolute f*** did he think was going to happen? Staggeringly tone-deaf.

Thought 4: Even within the artist's logic, it's pretty uncomfortable that he, in his own words, "made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from". So a white monkey gets blue eyes, an Asian monkey gets almond eyes and a black monkey... is unchanged? WTF...

24 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Thought 1: People need to stop mixing up apes and monkeys. They're not the same thing.

Thought 2: The artist's explanation of the poster is an interesting one, and he's said that it's an intentional and direct challenge to the monkey label applied to so many black players. It's not like he's unaware of the context

Thought 3: What the absolute f*** did he think was going to happen? Staggeringly tone-deaf.

Thought 4: Even within the artist's logic, it's pretty uncomfortable that he, in his own words, "made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from". So a white monkey gets blue eyes, an Asian monkey gets almond eyes and a black monkey... is unchanged? WTF...

I think the message was that we are all the same, that there may be minor differences in appearances, but we are all essentially the same.  I dont see that that message is wrong, its just being said the wrong way. 

The bottom line is that its massively missed the mark.  And, whilst I understand the sentiment once its been explained, an effective campaign poster shouldnt need to be explained to be understood.  

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I think the message was that we are all the same, that there may be minor differences in appearances, but we are all essentially the same.  I dont see that that message is wrong, its just being said the wrong way. 

The bottom line is that its massively missed the mark.  And, whilst I understand the sentiment once its been explained, an effective campaign poster shouldnt need to be explained to be understood.  

Agreed.

Archived