Null and Void

Vinnie

It may be a bit premature, but it seems that clubs are preparing for this season to be finished now. 

Anne Budge threatening legal action if Hearts are relegated before the next eight games are played, Celtic calling to be named Champions, even though they can potentially be caught.  Sponsors not getting full value of their investments.  A minefield for the SPFL to sort through.

What should happen? 

Would you

A- Cancel this season and start again? 

B- Cancel the rest of the season, the positions now would be the final standings, and promote or relegate those in the relevant positions.

C- Carry over the points amassed from this season into the new season.  

D- Start the new season with a play off between Hearts and Inverness, and Dundee United and Hamilton... same with bottom of the Championship, and the rest of the leagues? 

Why can’t we just resume from where we are when this eases off?  The fixtures are there to be played, just pick up when we are able to restart and play to full completion. To me that’s the only way to retain sporting integrity in face of a huge global crisis.  

First of all, football obviously isn't the most important thing in the current context, but it's nonetheless something that matters greatly to a lot of a people and at some point we presumably have to be aiming to get back to some sort of normality.

With that in mind, I think they have to continue to aim to get the current seasons finished eventually, one way or another.

If Euro 2020 is shifted by a year, then that might (if the wider picture in terms of virus spread and impact improves a bit) allow for behind-closed-doors matches in that summer slot. Even if they have to play all the games in a compressed timetable, with players who have been fully tested and cleared, they need to find a way before any new season can begin.

I know weve seen major spikes in cases abroad, and the forecasts are that we will have them here.  But they are only forecasts, and now that other countries are taking greater measures than the UK, does that potentially slow the spread here?  

I say that the season must be completed with the squads that clubs have now.  Even if it means playing a game every third day.  It would be unfair on clubs who are in winning positions to write their efforts.  Imagine it was Leicester, one amazing season, and their chance of the title stripped from them.  

Just now, Keyser Soze said:

Pick your toys up ffs. 

Great response. Original and incisive.

You don't get to decide whether something is up for debate or not.

Back on topic, I see that the Rangers are arguing that the season should be completed eventually (which I agree with) for reasons of "the integrity of sport in Scotland" (at which point I almost doused my laptop in coffee). Ha!

6 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Back on topic, I see that the Rangers are arguing that the season should be completed eventually (which I agree with) for reasons of "the integrity of sport in Scotland" (at which point I almost doused my laptop in coffee). 

I found their comments quite amusing as well.  

I think that such comments would have held more weight from Celtic, arguably Champions-elect, and Im sure they would rather win the league on their own merits than by default? 

Archived