Working From Home

Vinnie

Im guessing that most folk on here are now working from home?  I started working from home last Wednesday, and i found the first day fine and quite enjoyed the novelty factor, but now its getting difficult and tedious.

Does anyone have any handy hints and tips to avoid the cabin fever, and keep themselves motivated? 

Funnily enough, I always work from home, but at the moment most of the work has dried up (need any digital marketing done, folks? Hit me up...) and instead I'm becoming a pretend teacher for Sanguine Junior!

Generally my advice (not knowing what you do, of course) would be this:

• Make yourself a clear workspace, that isn't just squeezed in between other stuff. Even if you have to take it down each day to clear the dining table (as I do at the moment), try to have a routine of defining your workspace each morning. If nothing else it's quite a good ritual to have to get into the working mindset.
  • Take breaks and be ok with that. Nobody works all the time in a workplace, so allow yourself those moments of peace and distraction. Just remember to come back again reasonably soon!
  • Get some fresh air at least once a day. If you have a garden get out there with a coffee or whatever and just enjoy the change in brightness, temperature and stillness. Leave work behind for those moments as much as you can.
  • Set yourself little reward targets - eg, "I'll do another half hour of this, and then get a coffee", "Let's see how many of these I can get through in the next hour, I'm going to predict 15" (or whatever)
  • Keep a brief record of what you've been doing, so that at the end of the day you can glance over it and know that, yes, you did actually do some work. It's easy to slip into the trap of feeling like you haven't accomplished much, but if you note each thing you complete or take to a new stage you'll have that as a record. Also useful in case your boss asks!
  • Once the day is done, clear your stuff away, or close the door to the room you've worked in, or whatever it takes to make a clear and conscious decision that you are finished for the day. Work creep is often tempting, but it's not good for you.
  • Finally, here's a video with some excellent advice

Im usually office based (Edinburgh City Centre) at my desk at a PC, on my backside.  Usually surrounded by ten others.  

I have gotten up in the morning as I would, Ive taken the dog out for her morning walk as I would normally do.  But Ive found not doing the 20minute commute strange, and I miss my morning latte.  Usually lunch would consist of getting away from the desk and choosing what I fancy, taking a walk to collect food.  I suppose I could still do the lunchtime walk, taking the dog out.  

Thats a handy list there @SanguinePar, cheers!!

Guest The Beer Baron

I have my work laptop set up for all work stuff. 

I have my own laptop set up for Slack messages, email and most importantly Football Manager.

Im currently using my own personal laptop for work.  Making do of a bad situation.  Not ideal.  Im told a Works laptop will be making its way to me at some point, although laptops seem to be as elusive as bog paper and pasta just now.  

I worked from home one a week anyway - or more if there were transport strikes or other problems. It was a case of a long lie, maybe shower at lunchtime and have music on. There was also the occasional nap.  I would work longer so was not short changing anyone. It was definitely less structured.

It is completely different now. There are lot of good tips from @SanguinePar , and the only thing I had to add was implied by @Vinnie - getting up and keeping a routine.
I am on holiday for a week from tomorrow evening unluckily enough. At least the work breaks up the day.

I tend to get up a wee bit earlier get all my work done and then bunk off earlier since I don't have a commute. SPs advice is pretty good. I also tend to have a list of small house stuff to do like put washing away which is just a good excuse to leave the laptop and do something else as a break from work.

TBH I am quite enjoying it

Working from home has been a lot tougher than I expected.  My wife is self employed and has had to temporarily close her business, so she is at a loose end and bored, and has been a distraction.  

I left the house today to walk to Morrisons for some fresh air.  They now have queues at the door amd only let limited numbers into the building.  I was away for longer than my lunch hour - I almost felt like I was gonna get caught like smoking behind bikesheds at school.

That helped to break up today though.  Need to think of something different for tomorrow.

Wife and i have been working from home for two weeks now.

She has the office. I'm in the kitchen so get to watch the birds, squirrels and the neighbour's cats in the back garden so its not all bad.

Amazing how loud the birds now are with so little traffic around my way. Quite relaxing with all the birdsongs. 

Prob be cracking up now if the traffic was at normal levels.

Used my lunch break to go for a run.  I wouldnt say it was "nice" but I do feel a little better for it. 

Im avoiding social media where possible though.  Folk complaining about folk out running, that its a selfish activity, or about cyclists, or dog walkers... Some folk arent happy unless theyre grumbling.  

Archived