Our own closed shop - GAME NOW GOES AHEAD

Fifes Elite

Barry Ferguson isn't happy, And still doesn't know if the playoff on Saturday is going ahead. 

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-slams-neil-doncaster-20448251

In honesty it's time for the SFA to have some baws and step in here. The SFA sold the senior game to the juniors years ago to get them to join the senior set up and made the lowland league to sit above the East of Scotland. Along with pressure from UEFA they managed to convince the SPFL that a closed shop was wrong(and against UEFA principles) and we need to see a pathway for our clubs to grow and find their levels in the game. For the second year in a row with all the same teams involved the playoff (which should really be an automatic relegation but the SPFL wouldn't agree) may be scrapped. 

Brechin are going with the scatter gun approach. Claiming it's unfair due to the amount of games both Brora and Kelty have played(not taking into account they both won the league it the previous year too), fatigue on their own players(even though they voted for a 22 game season rather than 18, along with missing the fact Kelty and Brora have played about 2 games between them since December which is a severe disadvantage), arguing that no one should be  punished during a pandemic and either scrapping the playoffs or reconstruction would be better (even though  they voted against reconstruction last year when the pyramid playoff pyramid decision was already made and they were safe and it "punished" Hearts, Partick and Stranraer) . Reading Pie and Bovril the Brechin fans in fairness to them are pretty angry at members of their board finding the whole thing and finding it embarrassing

Of course though, in the world of moral high grounds about super leagues effecting down south our SPFL chairman was happy to release a statement condemning it, "“The SPFL stands ready to support all efforts to fight for the principles of solidarity, sporting competition and fairness which lie at the very heart of the game.”. He has his high profile headline and name in the papers up in lights, but lets see if he actually follows through with his principles when it's the less glamorous "diddy" clubs. That also counts across the board in Scotland, I seen plenty of football fans on forums, social media football journalists and former footballers up here condemning something that probably won't have effected our league too much but will be silent on something happening in our back yard. I also hope our chairman(who is a good guy) voices a strong opinion as a member of the SPFL board.

On a personal note this will be potentially the third time one of the teams I have supported as a kid has been f@cked over their league places due to votes. Firstly Dunfermline as club 11 for Dundee who were club 14 because they wanted the Dundee derby in the league after old rangers went bust (something I take care in reminding my Jambo supporting pals at every opportunity as) and now Kelty twice.

Archived