Stay of execution.

scottyboy

First game back since the virus. Have to say I enjoyed the match. Players looked like they were fighting hard to save PG from the chop. Think the guy deserves a few more games to build and hopefully bring the season back to life. Was kinda expecting a back to the wall, park the bus type of performance. We certainly finished strong, even though ICT had their chances. Think we grew in confidence as the game went on. Had ICT scored first, maybe we might have imploded. I have went from thinking PG being a good fit, to get rid, to last chance, now give him another few more games. Fans were superb yesterday, never heard a grumble inside the ground. Happy to return to the next home game if they keep plugging away like that. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gjs93 said:

cant have been behind the goal @scottyboy? the usual folk losing their **** over anything and everything wasnt a surprise.

it is delaying the inevitable, a lot of folk have it as must win next week or hes gone but even if we do win, if we dont win at Raith then he must go....and on and on it goes. 

Was in the NW and not a bad word said. Couple of wins in the next few matches, then maybe get the reprieve phone call from the Chairman to be pardoned. 

15 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

Was in the NW and not a bad word said. Couple of wins in the next few matches, then maybe get the reprieve phone call from the Chairman to be pardoned. 

Have to say I was behind the goal in the Norrie, and have said previously that the overall support from the crowd surprised me. I think there was a consensus that they wanted to get behind a team that was trying and I think the team responded positively to it. Had ICT scored - I suspect it may be have been quite different

• Upvote 2

I watched the game and thought we did okay overall. I'm not convinced however that things will miraculously improve, because that's what it'll take to save this guys job, a miracle. I really hope I'm wrong though, I'm not about just sacking Managers in a reactionary manner. 

I try not to get too despondent when results and performances are poor, although it's been especially tough recently. By the same token, I don't let myself get carried away after one good performance, but at least we can look forward to the next game with a degree of optimism. 

PG will not necessarily be sacked if we lose, but it would heap some more pressure on him. If we really have turned a corner and go on a good unbeaten run, calls for his head will disappear.

• Upvote 2

Kai Kennedy in the courier this morning saying the players are behind the manager.

Dunfermline not only claimed a point against Inverness, they proved a point.

That’s the view of winger Kai Kennedy, who is adamant their gutsy stalemate on Saturday illustrated that the Pars are a squad united — and fully behind embattled boss Peter Grant.

The on-loan Rangers ace lamented the Fifers failure to secure a precious victory against the Caley Jags, with Craig Wighton and, in particular, Nikolay Todorov missing superb opportunities.

Vytas Gaspuitis also flashed a first-half header narrowly wide of the post.

Nevertheless, Kennedy is right to be optimistic.

Dunfermline got back to basics to keep their first clean sheet of the campaign. They were ferocious in 50/50s, organised and pressed tirelessly.

It does not magically cure the ills of a miserable season to date. For the Pars to be bottom of the league after five matches, with the talent they possess, is unacceptable.

But this was a start; signs of life.

“You could see that the group are all behind each other and behind the manager,” said Kennedy.

The last couple of weeks have been tough — but Saturday showed what we can do and what we are trying to build.

“There is a lot we can take into the Hamilton match.

“As a team, you need to stick together and show what type of group you are — and you could see against Inverness that we had trained hard all week.

“We had the better chances of the two teams and on another day we would have been one or two up.”

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gjs93 said:

cant have been behind the goal @scottyboy? the usual folk losing their **** over anything and everything wasnt a surprise.

I sit behind the goal at the top of the norrie and I am glad I am in the main stand next week for hospitality to get peace from the guy next to me. Thinks he is some kind of referee and contradicts himself all the time. Shouting at the partick game for someone to break Kyle Turner's leg and end his career and this is someone in his 40s,not a kid.

I’m in the North West and while there are some rockets as with any support - majority are sound.  Overwhelmingly supportive and positive I thought on Saturday in terms of the fan reaction.  This has indeed bought enough good will to take to the Hamilton game.  A draw at home will bring negativity but maybe not enough to derail him for the Raith game.  He needs to win one from the two and avoid defeat at both.  I do fear a loss in either really is (and should be) the end.  Ultimately it’s a results business, everyone knows that, and to be bottom after playing those two still would be completely unacceptable.

11 hours ago, Superally said:

Have to say I was behind the goal in the Norrie, and have said previously that the overall support from the crowd surprised me. I think there was a consensus that they wanted to get behind a team that was trying and I think the team responded positively to it. Had ICT scored - I suspect it may be have been quite different

This is what I saw too. I'm generally really critical of our support for the nonsense some folk come out with, and they way folk lose their head over daft stuff, but I didn't see any of that.

• Upvote 2

On 19/09/2021 at 21:22, gjs93 said:

it is delaying the inevitable, a lot of folk have it as must win next week or hes gone but even if we do win, if we dont win at Raith then he must go....and on and on it goes. 

I am expecting us to win on Saturday against a poor Hamilton side and hopefully get something out of the rovers game. If we fail to get a win out of they two games,the fans will be calling for him to go and quite rightly so.

Grant was the one who put the pressure on himself saying he will have failed if we dont win the league. It was a better performance on Saturday, first clean sheet of the season  but we still haven't scored a goal at home or won a game yet.

Clean sheet was achieved against Caley and it's important we get this sorted to grow confidence in what has been the weakest part of our team performances so far. 

I think sorting out the midfield and forward from there is less of a challenge. Although we've not been executing chances as clinically as we should, we have been creating chances.

Scoring is a confidence thing for strikers,

I think if we stop freely conceding goals we'll start to see team confidence rise overall. 

42 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Clean sheet was achieved against Caley and it's important we get this sorted to grow confidence in what has been the weakest part of our team performances so far. 

I think sorting out the midfield and forward from there is less of a challenge. Although we've not been executing chances as clinically as we should, we have been creating chances.

Scoring is a confidence thing for strikers,

I think if we stop freely conceding goals we'll start to see team confidence rise overall. 

Hopefully we see gaspuitis and Watson build a partnership at the back. 

On paper we have some of the best attacking players in the league, we just need to get it clicking. We have got goals in this team.

Grant needs to stick with the 442 on Saturday and just keep it simple. 

• Upvote 2