Staying up?

livipar2

On the whole I’ve been pretty happy with what Yogi has done since he has come in.  Results have improved and we are a lot harder to beat (Morton game aside). His recruitment has been decent with Lawless, Chalmers and Donaldson all looking solid business. Jury remains out on the keeper, Ambrose and Kanwa.

I do think Yogi needs to look at his tactics for the rest of the season though as the 4-5-1 isn’t attacking enough given the need for wins.  Big question is do we have the right midfielders for a 4-4-2 yet? If we play 4-4-2 and get Dom and O’Hara into the starting 11 there isn’t really a place for Dorrans? Midfield 2 would have to be Pybus and Chalmers? There are games where the 4-5-1 will be useful but in home games in particular I think we have to be more attack minded.

Tactics, I'm not a student of the game. However we are harder to beat and I believe he's been active in playing those he believes are up for the fight. But up front we're toothless and I cannot believe he can't trust O'Hara or Todorov to score a few goals. They've both proven they can score goals. Why not start them? 

Don't know if either of you listened to Dick Campbell's podcast interview, but in it he mentions that he hates the idea of playing only one up front, and he wouldn't do it, more or less saying that it's just not the way to play the game.   Agree with the above comments, we need to start going out to win games from the start and be far more adventurous up front if we're to get out of this mess.  Playing McCann up front on his own in a toothless attack just isn't working, and if Yogi continues with this formation I think we'll continue to struggle to win any games.   I think I'm correct in saying that the last time a forward scored for us, it was McCann, way back in early December.  That says it all really.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought Yogi would have moved to a 4-4-2 because playing McCann up top on his own wont get us goals,he is good at holding the ball up and is a nuisance for defenders  but is not a goalscorer. Our best finisher is on loan at Arbroath. 

Opposition teams will now target Amrbose as our weakest link. He needs to stop trying to walk the ball out of defence because it is going to be costly. The decision to let Vytas go is a strange one, him and Donaldson could have been a good partnership?

We need to start going for the win now because draws wont be enough to survive.

This season has been a complete disaster,I think the damage has been done and we will be relegated via the playoffs.

I’d agree with Dick on one up front. I’d always favour a 4-4-2 similar to Dick and Bert although conscious they ended up playing 5-3-2 a good bit.

I don’t think McCann is the problem and he does his job well. Especially given his age and inexperience. I’d like to see him with bodies around him such as O’Hara playing off him or even him and Todorov.

• Like 1

Just now, livipar2 said:

I’d agree with Dick on one up front. I’d always favour a 4-4-2 similar to Dick and Bert although conscious they ended up playing 5-3-2 a good bit.

I don’t think McCann is the problem and he does his job well. Especially given his age and inexperience. I’d like to see him with bodies around him such as O’Hara playing off him or even him and Todorov.

Yeah have to agree McCann needs someone playing beside him which will probably have to be O'Hara or Kamwa because Yogi obviously doesn't rate Todorov.

Listened to the Dick interview and he cant believe people at Dunfermline don't rate Wighton.

1 hour ago, PentlandPar said:

Don't know if either of you listened to Dick Campbell's podcast interview, but in it he mentions that he hates the idea of playing only one up front, and he wouldn't do it, more or less saying that it's just not the way to play the game.   Agree with the above comments, we need to start going out to win games from the start and be far more adventurous up front if we're to get out of this mess.  Playing McCann up front on his own in a toothless attack just isn't working, and if Yogi continues with this formation I think we'll continue to struggle to win any games.   I think I'm correct in saying that the last time a forward scored for us, it was McCann, way back in early December.  That says it all really.

True. He also said though that strikers shouldn;t just be judged on goals and assists. He looks at how well they keep the ball for the team and how good they are at getting the rest of the team up the park. That being the case, it puts into perspective some of the stick McCann gets. I've always said that's why Yogi plays him and he's counting on his wide/midfielders to get forward and support. McCann has got a couple of assists as well as his goals so it does work when done right. 

I do think though that most people would be happy with McCann and A.N. Other. and I include myself in that. I think with his work rate, O'Hara is made for that role. Can you imagine being a defender and having a pest with pace and another who is going to bully you? On paper it seems like a great fit to me? I still don't think Yogi is comfortable with only having two in the middle of the park and he prefers the 3 with the two wide players tucking in without the ball and floating/supporting McCann when we have it. 

I see what he's trying to do, but for me, it's not working. He must see that too, but I guess he is taking the lesser of two evils in his eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Still not massively convinced on Yogi, 3 wins in 11 games is still pretty desperate and his decision to leave Gaspuitis and is one I still can't get my head around. Likewise playing Lawless through the middle, very odd. 

The last 5 games have certainly been better than the first 6, but I'm not sure I see us overturning the deficit to get 8th,and truthfully I'm worried if Gibson improves QoTS we'll go down automatically. 

IMO Dom needs to come in, I liked Dorrans in the 10 role against QoTS, having him, Dom and Lawless supporting McCann might make us look less toothless. 

People will be scratching there head at that Grant appointment for years. 

The table has flipped with regards to form, which doesn't help, Morton IMO will pull awya to safety, the job Imrie has done there is just absolutely bizarre, meanwhile Bullen seems to have gotten a tune out his players recently, we've gained 2 points on Hamilton in the last 5 games, if we were to win our game in hand and carry on that record over the last 10 games we'd be level on points... 

Edited by Grant