Queens Park v Dunfermline Play Off 1st leg

scottyboy

You’re in a way rewarding failure. Some players haven’t truly earned their salary and in other industries if you fail to perform you’re not eligible for a bonus.

You perform high throughout the season you get noticed, new club, bigger contracts etc that’s where the incentive should be.

Giving them a bonus to beat Queens Park and either Airdrie/Montrose man….should be bread and butter.

7 minutes ago, Berry said:

You’re in a way rewarding failure. Some players haven’t truly earned their salary and in other industries if you fail to perform you’re not eligible for a bonus.

You perform high throughout the season you get noticed, new club, bigger contracts etc that’s where the incentive should be.

Giving them a bonus to beat Queens Park and either Airdrie/Montrose man….should be bread and butter.

Can't argue with your logic, Berry, but that's not how it works in the real world. If the players aren't on a bonus, they'll still try hard but if there's a decent bonus, they'll try even harder. That's how it works even for elite footballers. 

As has been said further up, you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. You only pay if we stay up and it'll cost us a lot more if we go down, so nothing to lose by offering one, even if it can be argued that they don't really deserve one.

IMO bonuses should be agreed to at the start of the season* - so if there's already a "Pars avoid relegation" bonus then fine, but adding one now just seems wrong. Rewarding failure, as @Berry said.

* I guess you could make a case for adding one when we changed managers as a kind recognition of the situation that we were then in, and an indication of a fresh start.

If there’s money available for a playoff bonus then it should 100% be offered to the players. It wouldn’t be a reward for failure as winning the playoffs will be a success from the position we are currently in. I mean one bonus for winning the whole thing, rather than a game by game bonus.

We need to take every step we can to avoid relegation which will be financially crippling with no guarantee of how long it would take to get back to the Championship.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

If there’s money available for a playoff bonus then it should 100% be offered to the players. It wouldn’t be a reward for failure as winning the playoffs will be a success from the position we are currently in. I mean one bonus for winning the whole thing, rather than a game by game bonus.

We need to take every step we can to avoid relegation which will be financially crippling with no guarantee of how long it would take to get back to the Championship.

I can almost guarantee there will be a bonus and it will only be payable if we stay up, rather than on any individual game. 

We could, in theory, win 3 of the 4 games and still be relegated. 

Success is always relative to the position you find yourself in, there's little to no point still being angry at being in this position, we are in this position, and for where we are winning the playoffs would be a big success. 

If there's money for a bonus then give it. Money always helps concentrate the mind. 

• Upvote 1

I get the benefit of offering a bonus, just the principle of it. I’m not angry at being in this position, just rewarding players for getting us out the mire when the objective and bonuses should’ve been centred on promotion and that alone.

If the club can afford and are offering a bonus it’s in thanks to income from the fans, who shelled out a lot of money for season tickets to watch utter dross this season, just doesn’t feel right…but I get it.