Cyprus Vs Scotland (9 Sept)

SanguinePar

Another big game tomorrow night and a chance to really cement Scotland's hold on Group A. 

If anyone's interested in a bit of forecasting, you might like this scores spreadsheet I made: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pjFuHOLj_UxLz0HAbn_A3JdrVEPKz1IcCrh2JnpYKEc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Anyone should be able to access it with that link, although you'll need a Google account (I think). More than one person might be using it at the same time, but if you want, you can make a personal copy.

Based on what I think is likely, I see Scotland qualifying on 15 Oct, without even playing that day.

Screenshot_20230907-090417.png

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Seen a lot of people get excited about potentially qualifying while playing England.

It's very unlikely and I have a feeling we'll need to go to Georgia to confirm our place in the end. 

Gone into the foetal position now, fear i may never come out of it after reading that.

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

Seen a lot of people get excited about potentially qualifying while playing England.

It's very unlikely and I have a feeling we'll need to go to Georgia to confirm our place in the end. 

I was only half joking about pumping England, it doesn't have any bearing on anything other than it would be great to beat them, but it's not 'very unlikely' at all. 

We beat Cyprus - More than capable of that. We beat them at Hampden and having watched them at home to Georgia, they are absolute jobbies. Spain beat Georgia, in Georgia on the same night, and Georgia and Norway draw on Tuesday. If that happens, we have qualified. None of that is outlandish, and would be my predictions for how the results would go anyway (current form in the prediction league notwithstanding).

44 minutes ago, Digs said:

I was only half joking about pumping England, it doesn't have any bearing on anything other than it would be great to beat them, but it's not 'very unlikely' at all. 

I think he meant it's unlikely that while we play England we'll be qualifying, although I don't really agree - only takes wins for us and Spain and then a draw between Norway and Georgia.

1 hour ago, Digs said:

We beat Cyprus - More than capable of that. We beat them at Hampden and having watched them at home to Georgia, they are absolute jobbies. Spain beat Georgia, in Georgia on the same night, and Georgia and Norway draw on Tuesday. If that happens, we have qualified. None of that is outlandish, and would be my predictions for how the results would go anyway (current form in the prediction league notwithstanding).

I meant it's unlikely Norway will draw with Georgia. 

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I can't see anything other than 3 points for Norway there. 

I'm fully confident we'll win in Cyprus though although if I had to put money on, I'd go for 1-0. Which is all it needs.

2 hours ago, Digs said:

The first 2 are entirely plausible & the most likely set of results.

FWIW I also think Norway will beat Georgia however even if they then beat Cyprus away & we lose in Spain they still have to beat Spain at home, even a draw isn't enough. Obviously we have to play them still so even then it'll still be in our hands.

If, if, if..............

44 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

FWIW I also think Norway will beat Georgia however even if they then beat Cyprus away & we lose in Spain they still have to beat Spain at home, even a draw isn't enough. Obviously we have to play them still so even then it'll still be in our hands.

If, if, if..............

Yeah, that's how I see it playing out - eg (scores not really relevant here, so just made them 1-0s until the NORESP game)

image.png.dae95a1095d9ebd339320a915b833b62.png

That Norway-Georgia game is such an key one. Assuming the first 2 results go as expected, then a draw in NORGEO knocks both out and means we qualify. And a win for either side still leaves them having to win all 3 remaining matches including against us and Spain.

In other words, let's get out there and hammer Cyprus!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

If, if, if..............

Yer Aunty had baws 🙄

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

I meant it's unlikely Norway will draw with Georgia. 

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I can't see anything other than 3 points for Norway there. 

I'm fully confident we'll win in Cyprus though although if I had to put money on, I'd go for 1-0. Which is all it needs.

Georgia are better than folk give them credit for I think. And Norway are given too much. That’s why I’m thinking draw.