Is it time to try a different system?

Fifes Elite

Or do we stick? It seems with this system we rely on the fullbacks for width and although comrie and Edwards are good players we arnt getting enough good balls into the area with often crosses from deep which are easily defendable. It's all a bit predictable. We played it when Grant came in and again it didnt work, while some of our best performances last season we seemed to play well with a 4-3-3. 

We went to a back 4 about 5 minutes after the 1st which helped slightly but we still ended up way off it.

3-4-2-1 has served us well since about January last year and with a fully fit squad I think it still can do.

With center defenders missing we need to remove at least one of Otoo and Hamilton from midfield and often both to sustain that which means the deep lying midfield almost certainly is chalmers and Allan, very similar players who are generally tidy on the ball, but aren’t especially good without it and with it rarely aren’t particularly aggressive.

Moving to a 4 does release one into midfield which is helpful but it isn’t without consequence. It limits edwards in particular to get forward for example and if we do stop playing chalmers and allan together it means Todd Is part of the 3 who I feel we got better results from when he has played as the advance midfielder

We didn't go to a back four until about half an hour in and it did help allot, it was something we should've won much, much much sooner last night which was concerning. 

What I liked last year about McPake was his unwillingness to become wedded to one particular system, he would switch it up dependent on the players available, and the opposition. Going with the back three yesterday against Hamilton upfront was the opposite of it. For one the back three without Bene or Breen doesn't suit us, we shouldn't be playing it. Secondly it gets shown up particularly badly if the opposition have a big striker who can then sit on Hamilton and allow his team to feed of the second ball. 

We've kept 2? Clean sheets all season, while we rarely score more than 1 goal, it's a bad combination and one that needs rectified, pretty clear that the system isn't working atm. 

• Upvote 1

Keeper TBC

Comrie fisher Hamilton Edwards

KRH Etoo chalmers Todd

McCann Moffat

Went for this when I was thinking about it last night. We look much more solid in midfield when Otoo plays there. Infact from memory the games against rovers seem to go to pot unless he is in there. I think Moffat needs to be central and i'm hoping with his pace and trickery he can get in behind and also create space for McCann

**** knows if it would work, i'm not a manager and I have concerns about Hamilton in a back 4 but **** it.

Otoo was signed to play as a Lcb in a back three, him along with Fisher are great at advancing and progressing the ball with a stable ball/aerial winner between them. The drama comes in that can you really trust them to play as a two? I'm really not sure on Otoo in a back two and you take away some of his best aspects. 

On the flipside Hamilton is too easily targeted in the air. There's no perfect solution here. 

Ideally I'd actually like them both in midfield, however there's no possibility of that with the injuries we've currently got. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grant said:

Otoo was signed to play as a Lcb in a back three, him along with Fisher are great at advancing and progressing the ball with a stable ball/aerial winner between them. The drama comes in that can you really trust them to play as a two? I'm really not sure on Otoo in a back two and you take away some of his best aspects. 

On the flipside Hamilton is too easily targeted in the air. There's no perfect solution here. 

Ideally I'd actually like them both in midfield, however there's no possibility of that with the injuries we've currently got. 

Everytime Breen and Bene have been fit Otoo has been in midfield. McPake clearly sees that as his best position. 

• Upvote 1