The Pars v The Jags

Superally

4 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Yes I want him dropped for absolutely gifting a goal away. Not exactly his first of the season. Clearly no manager with half a brain is coming out to say anyone isn’t very good, but if Mcpake keeps picking mehmet after numerous mistakes then he’s only himself to blame 

Would you be similarly demanding an outfield player be dropped for missing an open goal? It's much the same thing, why do we manage to forgive those but can't find it in us to forgive the goalie?

You can shout all you want - it ain't going to happen, unless Mehmet himself asks to be dropped* and I very much doubt that. No manager is likely to drop his No 1 for a loanee back goalie who could soon be returning to his parent club. That would be madness and could affect the morale of the rest of the squad. 

*or picks up an injury in training.

1 hour ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Nothing to do with sitting in stands. It's just another piece of bad goalkeeping from him. You you stick your head in the sand and sneer at folk all you like. Doesn't change the obvious.

Not sneering at all, bud. Just stating a fact. Football always looks a lot easier when you're watching it than when you actually play it. I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that - it's an incontrovertible fact.

And I'm not sticking my head in the sand, either. Nor am I defending Mehmet, he had a poor game, but McPake is not going to discard him after the club has just given him a 3 year deal. What message would that be giving to Mehmet?  It would create an unhappy situation best avoided. Harry Sharp knows he was brought in to cover for Mehmet when he was out injured. He won't expect to play. Showing faith in your player, especially a goalkeeper, is a great confidence booster and the sign of a good, courageous manager.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

Nobody mentioned Matty Todd's effort that the keeper tipped onto the bar.

THAT was a save! Very, very impressive despite it being near post. Could do with that kind of stuff between the sticks.

For me, Sneddon's save was the decisive moment in the match - had that shot gone in then with the momentum we had I think we would have got a second goal at least.

Interestingly, there were several Thistle fans on their own forum before the game who were complaining about Sneddon's performance in the Raith game, and saying he should be dropped.

3 hours ago, Stanza said:

For me, Sneddon's save was the decisive moment in the match - had that shot gone in then with the momentum we had I think we would have got a second goal at least.

Interestingly, there were several Thistle fans on their own forum before the game who were complaining about Sneddon's performance in the Raith game, and saying he should be dropped.

Wild, he looked more than capable against us. 

Memhet is the best we have at this moment in time.

No way am I excusing poor decisions on his part or perhaps limitations he may have but I can only see him between the sticks for now.

From a defensive perspective the team have coped well enough given injuries and the fact we're in a higher league. 

Goalkeeping is not my biggest concern at this stage, it's more the lack of goals for me.

• Upvote 2

The tactic that was so successful for Mehmet last season (ie NOT coming out for cross balls and leaving them to the central defence) worked well when Bene and Breen were there. Unfortunately, it is not as effective when the central defence is Hamilton and Otoo - those two guys have done brilliantly in the position, much better than i expected them to, but quite simply they don't have the physical presence of Bene and Breen. That's nobody's fault, but hopefully Mehmet will feel more secure when the regular central defence is back.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stanza said:

The tactic that was so successful for Mehmet last season (ie NOT coming out for cross balls and leaving them to the central defence) worked well when Bene and Breen were there. Unfortunately, it is not as effective when the central defence is Hamilton and Otoo - those two guys have done brilliantly in the position, much better than i expected them to, but quite simply they don't have the physical presence of Bene and Breen. That's nobody's fault, but hopefully Mehmet will feel more secure when the regular central defence is back.

Good post Stanza .. sometimes clean sheets are not the saves the goalie makes but the saves he does not have to make 

Otoo  is improving every game he will exert his physical presence in the not too distant future 

I would rather feed him for a week than a fortnight 😀

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, buspasspar said:

Good post Stanza .. sometimes clean sheets are not the saves the goalie makes but the saves he does not have to make 

Otoo  is improving every game he will exert his physical presence in the not too distant future 

I would rather feed him for a week than a fortnight 😀

It's probably fair to say that most keepers are only as good as the defence in front of them. Folk forget football is a team game. Goalkeepers make mistakes, the same as any other player. If a defender manages to  block any attempt at goal or an opponent misses the target, the mistake doesn't matter, but when a goal is conceded, the mistake is magnified 10 fold.