Top Gear

El Patrón

It appears it is going to be a totally revamped format with millions of presenters (well 7 inc. The Stig). They have ticked all the boxes, Yank, Female, Black Guy, YouTube guy etc etc but I think it is going to be utter dross. The best thing about Top Gear of old was that they were genuinely mates and the camaraderie/banter they had made it enjoyable to watch the epic road trips. The cars they had on were not that big a deal for me, it was more the banter/wind ups etc of the trio that kept me watching. I will give the new one a watch when it starts and I hope I am proved wrong, however I don't have high hopes for it.  

It had to be completely revamped, they needed to create some sort of USP to hook fans after losing Clarkson and Co.

Ive a feeling that it might not be so much about the family road cars this time, Eddie Jordan and the lass racer will do a segment on motorsport I suspect, the YouTuber will hunt for clips of driving disasters a la You've Been Framed, and Chris Evans will fail at being funny.  Le Blanc is there for the women viewers as eye candy?

I'll have a watch of this series, and maybe give it a couple of weeks to let them find their feet.

Chris Harris was editor of autocar and a writer for evo. Always enjoyed his articles hopefully should be very good on the show has a great sense of humour.

Seems a bit overkill with all the presenters, to be fair it can't be any worse that top gear has been for the past five years. 

I think if anyone was expecting it to be the same format as Clarkson, May & Hammond they will be disappointed. Time for something new. In some ways the old format was predictable, over scripted and boring. The new format may not be any better but hopefully it will be different. If it becomes a Evans TFI and my chums love fest it will be ****.

Archived