Reserve Cup Final (Tues 23rd April)

7 hours ago, Boston Red Sox said:

-Lastly it’s concerning how our manager can look at Lewis McCann and think he is anywhere near to being the player that Taylor Sutherland is.

Very harsh, if Lewis McCann had been out there tonight against that standard of opposition he would've looked class. 

The amount of abuse that McCann receives is well over the top. 

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Grant said:

Very harsh, if Lewis McCann had been out there tonight against that standard of opposition he would've looked class. 

The amount of abuse that McCann receives is well over the top. 

All about opinion and I completely disagree with you. Seen him a few times and Sutherland is a more balanced all round player, looks composed, has better positional sense, holds the ball well, links in other players and can finish. That is not abuse aimed at McCann, more an observation directed at the manager.

44 minutes ago, Boston Red Sox said:

All about opinion and I completely disagree with you. Seen him a few times and Sutherland is a more balanced all round player, looks composed, has better positional sense, holds the ball well, links in other players and can finish. That is not abuse aimed at McCann, more an observation directed at the manager.

You're watching Sutherland against other youth players, put McCann up against them and he'll look better. 

Big difference between playing centre backs at youth level and coming up against senior defenders. I rate Sutherland allot, but if McCann had played at League 2 level this season he'd have scored in more than just one game... 

There's also an argument that I've made before that McPakes system isn't exactly suited to making any of our attacking players look good anyway, drop Sutherland into our team where do you play him? 

I think Sutherland is probably looking at the likes of McCann, Todd, Allan and Tod and thinking that he's at a club which will give him a chance to play when the management think he is ready - and will then be patient with him. 

He scored two goals in his 1st full game at Bonnyrigg and then didn't score in the next 5, all of which he started.  He was then dropped to the bench, came on in the next 3 games without scoring and was then recalled.  So, at League 2 level, he wasn't prolific.  That is completely understandable, given that he was 17 years old at the time and it was his first experience of regular first team football.  On the other hand, it doesn't seem that he would be justified in bashing the manager's door down demanding a start.

Also, if we pitched him in as the main striker in January and February when we were depleted and getting battered, that doesn't necessarily aid his development.

If he's excelling in the reserves, in a team who are playing well and winning, it is likely that he will see a good bit of action in pre-season.  If he does well then, he'll likely see more first team action in the league - hopefully in a side which is at the right end of the table.

• Upvote 2

I hope they can do something at HT before the last crowd of the season. It's a fantastic achievement from the youngsters that should be marked in front of the home support. A lot of credit goes to the management who kept faith and didn't flood the team with seasoned pros.  

• Upvote 2

Lewis McCann, I think his positional sense is poor, his ability to header is poor, his finishing is poor and some of his decision making is suspect. However, he is a strong runner, good stamina, and he committed. No doubt there's a player there, I just think don't think he's an instinctive player and needs a lot more coaching. I think times running out for him in our team, that's my honest opinion.