James McPake and next season

I've got time for James McPake, I've backed him since he came in. I believe him to be our most competent manager in an age. However, given that turgid performance yesterday I did begin to question (to myself) how good are his motivational skills?

Luckily we're about at the end of the season and should be safe, but he's got a job to do preparing for a competitive league next season. He'll need to clear out a few players and make some astute signings. That will take major backing from the board and given our projected losses for this season I'm sceptical about how good that backing will be. 

• Upvote 1

Problem is we have so many players who are out of favour under contract for next year such as O’Halloran, Chalmers, Breen. You could apply the same logic to Comrie and Wighton etc if we signed MFW, MWH and Kane permanently. 

Hopefully we can move on a few of the under contract players out. I wouldn't mind seeing Kane and MFW here next season.

Edwards will be tough to replace if/when he leaves, been pretty solid player for us(just wish he could learn to put in a decent cross more than once a game). 

Hopefully we see the midfield 3 of Otoo, Todd and Hamilton a bit more next season.

Raymie I think the board will be in for hell of a shock if supporters don't see a significant improvement on the park at first team level.

There is already signs of folk being fed up watching the same dull football.

Go into next season Dunfermline potentially the biggest club in the league fans expectations will be different than they have been this season.

• Upvote 5

We sure have been served some dull football over the last two seasons. We weren't scoring many goals last season and this season,looking at our goal scoring stats McCann is top scorer with 7 so unlikely we are getting anyone into double figures for the season.  

We don't have any consistent flair or consistent opportunities in front of goal, we see it in odd games when it can click, like against Dundee United.

It was really the same last season. Its becoming boring now, like yesterday's game for example 😴.

I'm now thinking about not renewing my season ticket for the NW. 

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

Sorry but the board/owners have a different plan and that doesn’t involve buying success 

Aimlessly throwing money at things isn’t a good idea, especially if you don’t have it.

However, maximizing your spend at first team level is by far the biggest factor in any clubs success and I don’t see why we shouldn’t be trying to do that. 

• Upvote 2

Will have to hope other clubs clubs come in for players like Wighton, McCaan, Deniz etc, otherwise we'll have to play, or sit on them on the bench for the upcoming season. Raith have got a better squad than us. That's who we'll need to finish above to have a successful season. 

• Upvote 1

We've hopefully survived the league but missed out on the play offs. Mediocre at best, disappointing at worst.

James McPake deserves to take us into next season and the aim must be the play offs as a minimum. If we start poorly then it will not take long for the fans to get on the clubs back. It's an unrelenting pressure but we need to take all this up a notch. 

• Upvote 1

Tactically Mcpake is very stubborn. 5 at the back at home is pathetic tactics and 1 up front is just boring to watch. Home record is also very poor and football is generally poor to watch. Maybe he’s been our best manager in a while but the others we’ve had have been absolutely awful too 

I think McPake deserves a chance at this league without the insane injury list we had this season and with the strengthened squad we have compared to the way we started.

This is assuming we keep Edwards, Kane, MFW, MWH of course, which obviously isn't certain, but if we did, and we can keep more people fit than we did for most of 23/24, then I think we'd be in a better place this time next year than we are now.

But, I really think we need to move away from 5 at the back. Go with 4-4-2, and we have this sort of depth:

GK: Mehmet, Little/Whoever

RB: MWH, Comrie, Fisher (I think?)

CBx2: Bene, MFW, Otoo, Fisher, Breen

LB: Edwards, ummm... Otoo maybe? Or Breen?

RM: KRH, MOH

CMx2: Todd, Otoo, Hamilton, Moffat, Chalmers, Allan

LM: Todd, ummm... Allan maybe?

ST: Kane, Jak, Wighton, McCann, Sutherland 

Obviously that's over-simplistic (and I've probably forgotten some players), but I do think there's a decent team to be had in there, if we could add a left sided player or two. A team good enough to make the playoffs next time, which should be our minimal goal (although obviously we should be trying for the title).

Scoring goals might still be an issue, but I think we'd have more width, and would be making more and better chances than this year.

• Upvote 2

Ultimately Mcpake is responsible for poor transfer windows. Yes they aim high for targets but think they need a dose of reality too. Jakuibak was released from Dundee in may yet we didn’t sign him until 10th September or something like that. Recruitment needs to be spot on in summer or we’re in trouble